Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

New Hebrew lab open during lunch

Students+learn+their+newest+Hebrew+lesson.+The+Hebrew+Lab+is+available+for+anyone+who+wants+help+with+anything+related+to+the+Hebrew+language%2C+whether+that+be+for+class+or+just+in+general.+
Simon Albert
Students learn their newest Hebrew lesson. The Hebrew Lab is available for anyone who wants help with anything related to the Hebrew language, whether that be for class or just in general.

For many students, learning does not cease during lunch. Instead, they make their way to Writing Center or Math Lab to receive additional support from teachers and peers on upcoming tests or assignments. Now, for the first time, the Hebrew department is offering a new lab to assist students in Hebrew reading, listening, comprehension and writing skills.

“We wanted to make sure that the students would have a permanent framework to receive the support if they needed it,” Upper School Hebrew Language Chair Shelli Putterman-Kenett said. 

The Hebrew Lab will be open on A days and C days in room 325, and there will always be a teacher present to help students and answer their Hebrew-related questions.

Like the Writing Center or Math Lab, the Hebrew Lab is intended to help all students, no matter their level or background. Hebrew Lab is structured the same way as other labs at school in that students can receive help for any of their assignments or upcoming assessments. According to Israeli student and senior Shiri Cohen, the Hebrew Lab can and should be utilized by everyone. 

“I don’t think anyone can know enough Hebrew,” Cohen said. “Everyone should go to Hebrew Lab, not just for writing or speaking, but also to generally improve their Hebrew skills. Even as a native Hebrew speaker, I could sometimes use Hebrew Lab because in class we analyze literature that can be very challenging.” 

Junior Gus Bookbinder added that students who are earlier on in their Hebrew learning can especially benefit from the Hebrew Lab.  

“Hebrew Lab sounds like it could be a really great resource for lots of students, including myself, to learn and practice Hebrew outside of class,” Bookbinder said. 

Putterman-Kenett says that the primary goal of Hebrew Lab is to help students refine their skills and feel more confident in class discussions and assignments. 

“I think that learners can only benefit when they come to a place like the Hebrew lab because it is an open, supportive and safe place that has teachers who have a lot of desire to support and help learners succeed,” Putterman-Kenett said.