Weekdays don’t have to be boring

Eva Bard, Outgoing Editor in Chief

They say habits are born in middle school. I was no exception. Starting in sixth-grade, I practiced on the CESJDS track and field team every afternoon. I got home by six p.m., ate dinner with my family and completed my homework. By the time I was done, it was time for bed. 

Yet, even when I stopped participating in a yearlong school sport in high school, I still accepted this schedule as my weekday routine. I went home, exercised, completed my homework and ate dinner with my family. If I had extra time, I spent it getting ahead on future assignments or occasionally catching up on the latest episode of “The Bachelor.” While my system produced good grades and a reliable schedule, looking back, I regret not having more fun during the school week. 

It wasn’t until this year when my workload slowed down that I allowed myself time for leisure activities on weeknights. After much hesitation, I accepted an invitation to go to dinner with a friend. Surprisingly, the hour I carved out of my weeknight was not the end of the world. I still completed all of my homework and was prepared for my test the next day. From there, I slowly began to allow myself more dinners, school basketball games and even movies on school nights. I realized that I could have been doing this all along. 

Obviously, the amount of homework I had played a big role in my ability to change my schedule, but all in all, I wish I had been more flexible with my routine throughout high school. I wish I knew that the weekends were not the only time to make plans that bring me joy. There are only seven days per week, and I regret that I wasted five of them on a boring routine.  

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not preaching that students should ditch their homework for friends or their family dinners for Netflix. I’m simply suggesting that students allow some leniency and adaptability into their routines. You don’t have to be social every weekday, but once in a while, switch it up.