Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

A day of matzo meals

Sadaf Zadeh

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does not need to be a detested food. Here are my suggestions for a few creative matzo combinations that will adequately quench your chametz cravings. 

Matzo Avocado Toast: 

A tasty replacement for a popular breakfast dish, avocado on matzo is a great way to start your morning. First, begin by mashing your avocado in a bowl until it reaches the consistency that you desire. Then squeeze fresh lemon juice and add salt, pepper and garlic powder. Next, lay out your slice of matzo and spread the avocado mash on top, being careful not to break the matzo. Sprinkle any extra toppings or seasonings of your liking, and for extra flavor and texture, add a sunny-side-up egg on top.

“The New York Bagel”:

Bagels are one of the most difficult breakfasts to give up on Pesach, however, the toppings can easily be replicated on matzo. Start with a piece of matzo and then spread on your favorite type of cream cheese (my personal favorite is whipped cream cheese). After that, the possibilities are endless. You can add lox, capers, red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers or anything else that will give you the same satisfaction as your favorite bagel. 

Nut Butter and Jelly: 

For picky eaters who miss their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, never fear: it can be recreated on matzo For people who don’t eat kitniyot (legumes) and therefore can’t have peanut butter, there are numerous kosher for Passover nut butters that can be used instead, such as almond or cashew butter. This meal is so simple and only requires spreading your matzo with your desired nut butter and jelly, which you can likely find at your local Kosher grocery store. 

Matzo Pizza with a Twist:

When people think of food on Pesach, one of the first things that comes to mind is matzo pizza. However, having matzo pizza every day can get quite boring, so here are two ways to spice up this classic dish. First, while your matzah pizza is baking in the oven, mix together honey and red chili flakes for the perfect hot honey. When the pizza comes out of the oven, drizzle the sauce on top to add a nice kick to the standard flavor. Second, for those who don’t like tomato sauce or get tired of eating it every day, replace it with ricotta cheese and top it with the homemade honey, making for a spicy white pizza. 

Matzah Crack:

Matzah doesn’t need to just be used for savory foods — there are endless sweet options too. This sweet snack requires very few ingredients and steps and will have you wanting to make more. Begin by placing matzah on a tray and preheating the oven to around 350°F. Then mix unsalted butter and brown sugar in a saucepan until it comes to a boil, stirring for about two more minutes until the toffee is silky and smooth. Feel free to add vanilla extract. Then pour the toffee mixture over the matzah and bake until the toffee has a cracked texture on top. Next, sprinkle chocolate chips and salt on top and bake for a few more minutes. When it looks ready to come out of the oven, refrigerate until it is hard and then enjoy.