This will be the fourth debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
Israel-Hamas War topics to look out for in the Presidential Debate
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • June 26, 2024

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden...

Lions On Film: What advice do you have for students entering your current grade next year?
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Money doesn’t grow on trees
Money doesn’t grow on trees
Ari Kittrie, Managing Editor, Web • June 2, 2024

The end of the school year means juniors like myself will soon need to consider tuition prices for higher education across the United States....

Summer shouldn't be serious
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • June 2, 2024

Since I was seven years old, I’ve spent my academic years looking forward to my three-week session at Capital Camps each summer. Despite any...

Education miscalculation
Education miscalculation
Maiya Blumenthal and Aviv SteinJune 2, 2024

When I went to Israel with my family for the first time in the summer of 2018, I was captivated by the country. Not only did I love walking around...

Bring them home
Bring them home
The Lion's TaleJune 2, 2024

In the midst of all of the protests seen on various college campuses across the country, it seems as though the Israel-Hamas war has become even...

Opinion: Children need more freedom and independence

Letting+children+play+outside%2C+independently%2C+will+lead+to+greater+happiness.+
Rachel Loeffler
Letting children play outside, independently, will lead to greater happiness.

When my grandpa was a kid, he used to go on adventures. He would meet up with his friends, they would pack their lunches and spend the day with one another, completely devoid of adult supervision. They’d explore forests, trek through deep mud and swim in remote creeks. His parents’ only rule was to be smart and return before dark. He looked back upon this time fondly, happily remembering the idealistic childhood independence and the adventures he used to go on. 

This independence and adventuring would be impossible in the modern age, with teens today being confined to their houses, only being allowed to go outside if they stay in their parents’ vicinity. The children of the past are long gone, replaced with a depressed population of children. If parents were to loosen their grip over children’s autonomy and give kids back the freedom they once had, children could be far happier.

Studies show a stark decline in children’s independence in recent years. Surveys conducted in Britain about permissions parents granted to their elementary school kids revealed that parental permission to walk home alone from school dropped from 86% in 1971 to 25% in 2010.  In a similar span of time, depression rates among children have climbed substantially. With this lack of independence, children have been receiving fewer opportunities to truly experience independence as children which has contributed to a less happy populace.

The modern “helicopter parent,” a strict and controlling parent, stems from a place of good intention. These parents desire for their children to be happy and safe while growing up in an environment fraught with danger. Yet the real outcome of this is very counterintuitive, leading to less happiness for the kids because they are isolated and prevented from thriving. By instead allowing independence with minor adult supervision, a parent could ensure the safety of their kids while allowing them to have fun. 

Studies from the Journal of Youth and Adolescence found higher rates of depression and anxiety in children whose parents were consistently overly controlling. Other studies from the Journal of Youth and Adolescence show a heavy correlation between parents who provide their children with increased levels of freedom and independence and the increased happiness of the children. Through these studies, we can see the importance of freedom for children. The children who were not provided with freedom were consistently more depressed than those who were. This freedom is extremely important for the happiness of children and teens, and they crave it.

Although it may seem like adolescents can have the same quality of life with the same amount of parental supervision that they have now, in reality, children have too large a desire for independent activity. In a study conducted by the University of Worchester, children were shown pictures of kids having fun. The pictures featured children having fun alone, with other children, or in the presence of an adult. The children would consistently only identify the actions as true “play” if no adult appeared in the picture. By doing so, they show a subconscious urge to play outside the presence of adults and independently. 

If this generation of parents provided their kids with more independence, they would be able to have more fulfilling play and hang-outs with other kids. Even more importantly they could be a far happier generation like the generations of the past.

My grandpa could adventure and explore, but many kids today are not able to do so. When looking at the facts of the situation, parents need to put aside their controlling desire and allow kids to be kids. If parents were to loosen up their grip on their children, then we would be able to have a happier, healthier and more fulfilled generation.