Arts Chai Lights features musical performances, student work

photos by Mischa Trainor

The annual Arts Chai Lights festival at CESJDS’ Upper School campus was filled with musical performances, student work and interactive art experiences this past Thursday.

Mischa Trainor, Reporter

Arts Chai Lights, CESJDS’ annual arts fair, took place this past Thursday and featured musical performances, showcased student artwork and had art-making stations.

This year’s performances included Shir Madness, the high school and middle school choir, Israeli dance and the Lower School and Upper School bands. The event had many new additions including a graffiti wall for students to color on, a winged selfie station and a new mural being painted.  

“My favorite part of Arts Chai Lights is seeing all of the parents look at the work around the school and admiring it and seeing their kids perform,” stage manager and freshman Adina Schwartz said.

The art department started planning the event at the beginning of the year, keeping Arts Chai Lights in mind when designing projects for the art courses offered. After winter break, they began gathering pieces of artwork for the event, but waited to set up the showcases until a month before the event.

“I love that the whole community comes together in one evening and celebrates the arts and creativity, and seeing all the hard work and talent of the students [in] both Lower School and Upper School on display [and] on stage,” Director of Arts Education Dr. David Solomon said. “And, I love watching students making art at Arts Chai Lights.”