Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

Students experience solar eclipse

A+couple+of+minutes+before+the+solar+eclipse+occurred%2C+students+look+to+the+sky+in+anticipation.+
Photo by Maya Greenblum
A couple of minutes before the solar eclipse occurred, students look to the sky in anticipation.

Upper School students stared at the solar eclipse at 3:17 p.m. on April 8, watching the anticipated moment across the United States together. Upper School STEM Director Alexandra Brown, along with her students and colleagues, stared in excitement at the rare occurrence of the solar eclipse. 

At the peak of the solar eclipse in Maryland, the moon was covering 87% of the sun, according to NBC Washington; the moon, when orbiting, covered the sun for about four minutes. There will not be another eclipse visible from the United States until 2044, and even then, it will be barely visible from Maryland, according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

The eclipse was viewed by everyone at school through eclipse glasses that were handed out to every student. Popsicles were offered at the back of the building in the spirit of the eclipse. Brown wanted to help organize the event in order to give everyone an experience they wouldn’t forget. Brown, who was at JDS in 2017, recalled that at the time of that eclipse, only faculty were on campus. She appreciated that the whole school got to observe the eclipse together this time.

“There were some kids joking around about the eclipse before, and then when we got out there, they were like ‘Okay, this is pretty cool,’” Brown said. “It was nice to see people being genuine about something that’s pretty cool.” 

Some students and faculty traveled out of state to see the eclipse in the path of totality, where the moon was covering 100% of the sun. Sophomore Ami Epstein traveled seven hours with his entire family on a coach bus to Columbus, Ohio to witness the full eclipse. Epstein witnessed the eclipse in the path of totality in 2017 as well at a farm in Nashville, Tennessee, and they decided to go and see it again because it was a very fun experience. He thought it was fun to see such a rare moment with all his cousins and family that he doesn’t get to see so often.

“It’s very cool to have this opportunity to go visit and see it in person,” Epstein said. “It’s really cool to see the moon in real-time slowly move over and then cover and block the sun.”

Even though Maryland was not in the path of totality, students viewing the eclipse from school were glad to be a part of the experience. Junior Benji Kushner didn’t remember the 2017 eclipse, since he was only heading into fifth grade at the time.

“It feels like a special moment, it doesn’t happen too often, and JDS as a community has come together to see this special moment,” Kushner said. “… It’s about appreciating God’s creations and God’s existence in the world.”