This will be the fourth debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
Israel-Hamas War topics to look out for in the Presidential Debate
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • June 26, 2024

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden...

Lions On Film: What advice do you have for students entering your current grade next year?
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Money doesn’t grow on trees
Money doesn’t grow on trees
Ari Kittrie, Managing Editor, Web • June 2, 2024

The end of the school year means juniors like myself will soon need to consider tuition prices for higher education across the United States....

Summer shouldn't be serious
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • June 2, 2024

Since I was seven years old, I’ve spent my academic years looking forward to my three-week session at Capital Camps each summer. Despite any...

Education miscalculation
Education miscalculation
Maiya Blumenthal and Aviv SteinJune 2, 2024

When I went to Israel with my family for the first time in the summer of 2018, I was captivated by the country. Not only did I love walking around...

Bring them home
Bring them home
The Lion's TaleJune 2, 2024

In the midst of all of the protests seen on various college campuses across the country, it seems as though the Israel-Hamas war has become even...

This+will+be+the+fourth+debate+between+Donald+Trump+and+Joe+Biden.+
Flickr

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden and Donald Trump to discuss. Particularly, the on-going Israel-Hamas war is a subject of controversy across the United States, meaning it will likely be a prominent topic of discussion this Thursday. 

Although they might hope to, the Israel-Hamas War is simply impossible for candidates to avoid in the first debate because Americans across the country – particularly on college campuses – are protesting the U.S. support for Israel, while others are claiming the U.S. should send more aid to Israel. 

College campuses in all 50 states have seen students protesting as a part of the “Free Palestine” movement, leading to responses from the school’s administrations. Some have shut down campus, while others have called the police on students. Because of this, the monitors will likely question Trump and Biden about protest rights.  

Another question related to this conflict that may be discussed is that of antisemitism and islamophobia. Hate speech and crimes have been targeted at both Jews and Muslims at alarming rates since the war began. Islamophobia has risen 182% in the U.S., with antisemitism rising 184%. Because of this dramatic increase, candidates will surely address the issue. 

Additionally, it is anticipated that many voters are interested to hear what the candidates’ strategies are moving forward in the war and in the Middle East in general. It is expected that both candidates have long term plans for ensuring peace in the region during the next four years, and hearing their ideas will be crucial for voters. 

The candidate’s response to these questions is essential information for many voters who are still deciding who they will align with. Tune in on Thursday to watch Trump and Biden debate– again. 

This article was originally written for a course at the University of Southern California.