Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

Mosaic Cuisine is worth a visit

Sophia Leinwand
Mosaic Cuisine offers a variety of dishes, one of the most popular being the Belgian waffles.

Mosaic Cuisine, founded in 2001 by French Chef Thierry J, is a charming family-owned French restaurant nestled in The Shops at Congressional Village. It has an enjoyable dining experience accompanied by delicious food and classy decor. This is just a fraction of Mosaic Cuisine’s appeal. The variety of well-seasoned food and sophisticated decor is why I highly recommend this restaurant. 

When I entered the restaurant during brunch time on a Sunday, I could tell by the minimal available seating that no one wanted to miss out on everything Mosaic Cuisine has to offer. The restaurant is equipped with comfortable booth seating including high booths that provide privacy while still being immersed in the lively atmosphere. In addition to the booth seating, there were plenty of tables available, a bar area and outdoor seating.

I immediately noticed the soft lighting coming from the chandeliers hanging over every table, giving off a calm and soft atmosphere. The neutral colors and dimmed lighting added to the welcoming feel.

Because it was brunch, there were a significant number of people trying to get seated,  resulting in a short five-minute wait. However when I returned for an additional visit during dinner time, it was more quiet. During both of these times, the wait service was speedy and attentive.

When I was seated, I was given the brunch/lunch menu which is served from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. I perused the menu and came across a multitude of appetizing dishes. I ordered one of their specialty gluten-free Belgian Waffles with powdered sugar, whipped cream and strawberries ($7.00).

Shortly after, the waitress came out with my food. The waffles, sweetened to perfection, were delicious, to say the least. The combination of strawberries and whipped cream pushed it over the top and washing it down with freshly squeezed orange juice ($3.75) made the dish a total success. 

Despite having devoured my meal, I managed to take a bite of the waffle French toast with the side of scrambled eggs ($15.00) which my dining partner ordered. The eggs were well seasoned with a satisfying savory after-taste, but nothing out of the ordinary. The waffle French toast dipped in syrup was a sweet and tasty way to end brunch.

Along with the brunch menu, Mosaic Cuisine provides a dinner menu and a dessert menu. In addition to this, they provide gluten-free and vegetarian indicators next to each item. This is useful, especially as someone who often struggles with finding restaurants willing to accommodate my dietary restrictions.

After going again for dinner, I found I enjoyed the restaurant even more. I ordered the Trio Sampler ($12.00) which is an efficient way to get a taste for all of Mosaic Cuisine’s most famous soups. I thoroughly enjoyed each of them, however the sweet potato bisque stood out to me the most. The smooth and creamy texture and subtle sweetness incorporated into the mere delectability. 

Having been known for their sublime waffles, it doesn’t come as a surprise that they incorporate it into many of the dishes, whether it be for dinner or breakfast. 

For my main meal, I got a mango French brie waffle. This included a multitude of tastes, all complementing one another to enhance the overall flavor. The sweet potato fries ($9.00) were fried and crispy to excellence. The sweet taste was a delight on my palette. The French fries were slightly less crisp than the sweet potato fries, however I enjoyed them nonetheless.Cuisine 

The dining experience at Mosaic Cuisine was a delight and should not be missed out on. I recommend stopping by for a casual sit-down meal and enjoy the variety of dishes. Mosaic Cuisine stands out as a delightful dining destination that offers an enjoyable experience for those seeking a touch of elegance in their meals.