Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is so much more than a re-recording

Taylor+Swift+continues+to+uphold+her+legendary+status+and+demonstrates+growth+as+an+artist+in+1989+%28Taylors+Version%29.+
taylorswift.com
Taylor Swift continues to uphold her legendary status and demonstrates growth as an artist in “1989 (Taylor’s Version).”

Taylor Swift, who was born in 1989, has been on a journey of re-releasing her initial six albums to gain ownership of her music. On Oct. 27, she introduced “Taylor’s Version” of her fourth re-released album, “1989.” The original “1989,” released in 2014, was a pop sensation, winning multiple awards, including a Grammy for Album of the Year. The album beautifully encapsulated the spirit of the 2010s and nine years later represents a nostalgic time capsule. Swift’s “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is not just a re-recording, it is a bold statement of reclaiming her music and her identity.

In August 2014, Swift released the original “1989,” showcasing her as a young woman embracing freedom in a new city which is evident in the album’s Polaroid-adorned cover. “Taylor’s Version” features a new aesthetic with a coastal beach theme.. The original cover showed her with a straight face, reflecting her self-consciousness about her smile. In contrast, “Taylor’s Version” presents her with a beaming smile, symbolizing her reclamation of her true self and her music. The seagulls once trapped on her shirt in the original cover now soar free in the background, echoing the freedom she has found, as evidenced by the 13th track’s theme – she’s finally “clean.”

Fans eagerly anticipated whether there would be significant production changes on their favorite tracks. In past re-recordings, Swift altered the original sound to accommodate a new register. The same held true for “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” While some songs, such as “Style” and “Welcome to New York,” feature slight changes to the guitar key and pitch, most tracks remain faithful to the original production. 

Upon the first listen, however, it becomes apparent that the album captures a new era of pop music and artistic reinvention. The absence of Max Martin, the original producer of “1989,” provides “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” with a distinctive sound, allowing Swift to re-imagine her music with a fresh perspective. In Martin’s place, Jack Antonoff, a long-time friend and collaborator of Swift, takes on a pivotal role as the album’s producer, credited with the majority of the songs. Antonoff’s production quality enhances the album’s original sound, preserving its essence while infusing it with a contemporary touch.

The vault tracks, previously unreleased songs from the original “1989” sessions, are a highlight of any “Taylor’s Version” album. These tracks provide fresh insights into Swift’s songwriting abilities and storytelling process. “Slut!” challenges expectations with its clever lyrics that address Swift’s hyper-criticism of her dating life. “Say Don’t Go” exemplifies Swift’s talent for storytelling with its ’80s synth-pop sound and doomed love narrative. “Now That We Don’t Talk” stands out as the most fun and energetic of the vault tracks, with lyrics that reflect Swift’s maturity and self-assuredness. 

“Is It Over Now” stands out as my personal favorite from “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” for its raw honesty and emotional depth. The song’s lyrics capture the essence of a painful breakup, reflecting the complex feelings that often accompany the end of a relationship. The lyrics paint a vivid picture of a tumultuous past, and the upbeat and airy music contrasts starkly with the song’s dark emotional core. This contrast adds a unique layer to the track, making it a standout in the album.

One noticeable aspect of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is Swift’s vocal evolution. Her re-recordings demonstrate her growth as a vocalist over the years. While her original versions captured the raw energy of her youth, the new versions showcase a more mature and polished vocal quality. The vocals are technically superior, but they may lack the same raw intensity as the original recordings.

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is not just a re-recording, it’s a testament to Taylor Swift’s resilience and her determination to reclaim her works and herself from the media. This album reaffirms her status as a pop superstar and showcases her growth as an artist. The vault tracks offer fans new insights into Swift’s songwriting and storytelling abilities, making this re-release a must-listen for fans and music enthusiasts. As Swift continues her journey of re-releasing her catalog, one thing is clear – she remains an unstoppable force in the music industry.