Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is so much more than a re-recording

Taylor+Swift+continues+to+uphold+her+legendary+status+and+demonstrates+growth+as+an+artist+in+1989+%28Taylors+Version%29.+
taylorswift.com
Taylor Swift continues to uphold her legendary status and demonstrates growth as an artist in “1989 (Taylor’s Version).”

Taylor Swift, who was born in 1989, has been on a journey of re-releasing her initial six albums to gain ownership of her music. On Oct. 27, she introduced “Taylor’s Version” of her fourth re-released album, “1989.” The original “1989,” released in 2014, was a pop sensation, winning multiple awards, including a Grammy for Album of the Year. The album beautifully encapsulated the spirit of the 2010s and nine years later represents a nostalgic time capsule. Swift’s “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is not just a re-recording, it is a bold statement of reclaiming her music and her identity.

In August 2014, Swift released the original “1989,” showcasing her as a young woman embracing freedom in a new city which is evident in the album’s Polaroid-adorned cover. “Taylor’s Version” features a new aesthetic with a coastal beach theme.. The original cover showed her with a straight face, reflecting her self-consciousness about her smile. In contrast, “Taylor’s Version” presents her with a beaming smile, symbolizing her reclamation of her true self and her music. The seagulls once trapped on her shirt in the original cover now soar free in the background, echoing the freedom she has found, as evidenced by the 13th track’s theme – she’s finally “clean.”

Fans eagerly anticipated whether there would be significant production changes on their favorite tracks. In past re-recordings, Swift altered the original sound to accommodate a new register. The same held true for “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” While some songs, such as “Style” and “Welcome to New York,” feature slight changes to the guitar key and pitch, most tracks remain faithful to the original production. 

Upon the first listen, however, it becomes apparent that the album captures a new era of pop music and artistic reinvention. The absence of Max Martin, the original producer of “1989,” provides “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” with a distinctive sound, allowing Swift to re-imagine her music with a fresh perspective. In Martin’s place, Jack Antonoff, a long-time friend and collaborator of Swift, takes on a pivotal role as the album’s producer, credited with the majority of the songs. Antonoff’s production quality enhances the album’s original sound, preserving its essence while infusing it with a contemporary touch.

The vault tracks, previously unreleased songs from the original “1989” sessions, are a highlight of any “Taylor’s Version” album. These tracks provide fresh insights into Swift’s songwriting abilities and storytelling process. “Slut!” challenges expectations with its clever lyrics that address Swift’s hyper-criticism of her dating life. “Say Don’t Go” exemplifies Swift’s talent for storytelling with its ’80s synth-pop sound and doomed love narrative. “Now That We Don’t Talk” stands out as the most fun and energetic of the vault tracks, with lyrics that reflect Swift’s maturity and self-assuredness. 

“Is It Over Now” stands out as my personal favorite from “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” for its raw honesty and emotional depth. The song’s lyrics capture the essence of a painful breakup, reflecting the complex feelings that often accompany the end of a relationship. The lyrics paint a vivid picture of a tumultuous past, and the upbeat and airy music contrasts starkly with the song’s dark emotional core. This contrast adds a unique layer to the track, making it a standout in the album.

One noticeable aspect of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is Swift’s vocal evolution. Her re-recordings demonstrate her growth as a vocalist over the years. While her original versions captured the raw energy of her youth, the new versions showcase a more mature and polished vocal quality. The vocals are technically superior, but they may lack the same raw intensity as the original recordings.

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is not just a re-recording, it’s a testament to Taylor Swift’s resilience and her determination to reclaim her works and herself from the media. This album reaffirms her status as a pop superstar and showcases her growth as an artist. The vault tracks offer fans new insights into Swift’s songwriting and storytelling abilities, making this re-release a must-listen for fans and music enthusiasts. As Swift continues her journey of re-releasing her catalog, one thing is clear – she remains an unstoppable force in the music industry.