Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

Gen-Z is not #livelaughloving the cheugy style

Kaylah+Goldrich+poses+in+front+of+a+butterfly+wall%2C+with+the+clothing%2C+editing+and+background+exuding+cheugyness.+Goldrich+was+in+middle+school+at+this+time%2C+when+these+types+of+photos+were+trendy.+++
Ellie Levine
Kaylah Goldrich poses in front of a butterfly wall, with the clothing, editing and background exuding cheugyness. Goldrich was in middle school at this time, when these types of photos were trendy.

Are you a fan of the side part? Do skinny jeans make it into your wardrobe essentials? Is your love for products from Home Goods unmatched? Do you sip your coffee from a glitzy tumbler? Well, brace yourself because, according to Gen-Z, you might be labeled as “cheugy” or, let’s face it, just a typical millennial.

The New York Times has neatly wrapped “cheugy” in a definition: an adjective meant to describe someone either stuck in the past or trying a bit too hard to fit in. 

This term has been all the rage on TikTok, with over 30 million views under its hashtag. According to these users, liking Disney as an adult, tall Ugg boots, and jean jackets falls under the cheugy category.

The mastermind behind this word is Gaby Rasson, a 23-year-old software developer in Los Angeles, who coined the term during her high school days. She was searching for the perfect term to describe those who seemed to be trying a tad too hard. “Cheugy” seemed to embody what she was looking for, and the way it sounded fit the meaning perfectly, she explained to The New York Times.

For those yearning to keep up with the younger generation and avoid being dubbed a “cheug,” here’s a handy guide:

1. Stay away from Buzzfeed surveys and perhaps Buzzfeed altogether.
  2. Refrain from unironically buying “Girlboss” stickers for your laptop or planner.
  3. Skip purchasing “Live, Love, Laugh” signs to adorn your living space or, for that matter, any home decor from Target. 
  4. Opt for a middle part, and embrace baggy jeans while bidding farewell to your skinny ones.
  5. Anything from Lilly Pulitzer is a no-go.
  6. Say no to cheesy hashtags and filters on social media. 

However, as with any trend, some oppose using this word, branding it as misogynistic and classist. TikTok user Kiera Breaugh (@kierabreaugh) conveyed her perspective on this, emphasizing how thinking oneself superior to other women, especially when linked to consumerism, is misogyny. The comment section of her video echoed this sentiment, highlighting concerns about fast fashion and the importance of allowing women to enjoy what they like.

This trend is just a glimpse of generational differences, showcasing the cyclical nature of trends and styles. After all, one day, Gen-Z will find themselves on the other side of the fence, when one day, Lululemon leggings and Starbucks drinks are no longer in style.