Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

Not your typical concert

Ronald S Woan
Taylor Swift performing on her Reputation tour in 2018, one of her many eras explored in the movie. By Ronald Woan, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=131815897

The crunch of popcorn and slurp of soda are not the usual sounds I associate with Taylor Swift, but this past weekend, with the release of the Era’s Tour Movie, swifties took to the theaters.

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” came out this past Friday, and it didn’t come quietly. Thousands of fans brought the opening weekend box office to $92.8 million, making the film the second-highest-grossed film in October. Swift’s movie takes viewers through the many “eras” of her career in music, from her country albums to her transformation into a pop phenomenon. The movie shows the concert as it was performed in a setlist format going one era at a time. 

I was able to see the movie in iMax, and I recommend it to anyone able. The immersive experience made me feel like I was up on the stage with Swift, rather than in a crowded movie theater miles away from California, where it was filmed. 

Audience members were on their feet, jumping, dancing and screaming the lyrics to her songs, and didn’t return to their seats for most of the movie. A part of what made watching this film so engaging was seeing the faces of young girls filled with admiration for Swift was a highlight in itself. 

Ticket sales for Swifts’ tour were competitive and pricey, and I, along with many others, was unable to attend. Turning the concert into a movie was able to directly combat this issue, as attending the movie felt just as if I was walking into a stadium. Fans were dressed in their favorite eras, trading friendship bracelets and dancing in the theater, making it unlike any movie I’ve ever experienced. 

A difference that many fans noticed was songs from the setlist that didn’t make it to the big screen. Songs like “Long Live,” “The Archer,” “Cardigan” and “No Body, No Crime” were not featured in the film, which I found disappointing as they are some of my favorite songs. 

The movie’s shots portrayed the atmosphere around each era perfectly, with her iconic “Fearless” guitar, a moss-covered piano for “Evermore” and stage graphics that indicated fractures in her self-image during the “Reputation” era. 

One critique is the amount of time the film dedicated to audience applause. There were many moments when a song ended and Swift was standing and posing, with the stadium clapping for her. It was slightly awkward and disrupted the flow of the movie by having extended shots of Swift hearing her own applause. It felt too forced and extra. 

While many believe the purpose of “Taylor Swift: The Era’s Tour” was just for fans who did not get tickets to see what one of Swift’s performances was like, it was much more than that. The reality is that fans were hoping to be immersed in Swift’s more than 17-year-long music-making career, and the movie fulfilled this wish. I, along with other fans, felt the emotional intensity in “Red,” the tranquility of “Folklore” and the magical qualities of “Speak Now.”

The movie was an innovative way to bring Swift’s smashing success of a tour to those who were not able to attend. The visuals alone are breathtaking, even to those who aren’t Swift’s biggest fans. The best part of any experience is what you make of it, and Swift along with her fans truly made this a good one. I highly recommend putting on some sparkly cowboy boots, swapping some friendship bracelets and heading over to your nearest theater to experience the tour that sold out in minutes from a comfortable movie theater seat.