Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

Bethesda’s Andy’s Pizza is worth a visit

Award-winning+Andys+Pizzas+offers+a+vast+variety+of+flavors+you+may+not+find+at+other+pizza+places.+++
Lena Nadaner
Award-winning Andy’s Pizza’s offers a vast variety of flavors you may not find at other pizza places.

The Montgomery-County-Native-owned Andy’s Pizza brought its award-winning slices to Bethesda, impressing with their tasty pies, perfect crust and lively atmosphere. 

With seven locations scattered across D.C. and Virginia, Andy’s Pizza was the 2021 winner of the International Pizza Challenge and was declared the best pizza by many local magazines. 

As I walked into the restaurant, which is located on East-West Highway, I was drawn in by the bright red sign above the bar that read “Andy’s Pizza” and the vibrant yet calm atmosphere.  

At the counter, I noticed all the varieties of pizzas showcased, as well as the starters and salads on the menu. Once I picked my slices, they were put through a conveyor belt to warm up, which made the slices toasty and the cheeses melt to perfection. 

The first slice I tried was the “Mushroom & Onion,” ($4.50) and I was pleasantly surprised by the rich, charred onions, roasted garlic cream sauce and mushrooms along with the crispy crust. The crust and onions were so good that I wanted to eat them alone. Even though I typically prefer tomato-sauced-based pizzas, the unique flavors of this slice soothed my tastebuds, making it my favorite slice at Andy’s Pizza and a must-try.

A close second was the “Margherita” ($4.50) with its tangy tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil, making it a great slice that you should definitely order. 

After, I tasted the “White” ($4.50) with roasted garlic cream sauce, mozzarella, provolone and ricotta. Though my first bite had the perfect crunch from the crust, the pizza lacked flavor, especially compared to the “Mushroom & Onion.” 

Although the classic “Cheese” ($4.50) slice is award-winning, it was the least impressive with its bland sauce and weak cheese. Thus, I recommend ordering the “Mushroom & Onion” and “Margarita” to get the most out of your dining experience.

In addition to the tasty slices, the customer service was superb as the employees were friendly, eager to help take my order and kindly answered my questions.   

There was plenty of seating on the main level, upstairs and outside, with each table decorated with plants in vintage-style tomato bins. My party sat outdoors and was accompanied by upbeat music that was not too loud and not too quiet, making it a pleasant experience. 

Initially, Andy’s Pizza seemed pricey as individual slices range from $4.50-$7.50 and whole pies from $22.50-$32.50 depending on if they are topped with meat. However, for an established, award-winning restaurant, the prices are fair. 

Andy’s Pizza is superior to other pizzas in Bethesda with its 72-hour cold ferment that makes their crust mouthwatering and overall high-quality slices. I will be visiting Andy’s Pizza again, and you should definitely try it for its fabulous crust, delicious pies and delightful atmosphere.