Golden Goose sneakers spark controversy

Sophomore+Charli+Galkin+wears+one+of+her+three+pairs+of+Golden+Goose+sneakers.+

photo by Josie Stein

Sophomore Charli Galkin wears one of her three pairs of Golden Goose sneakers.

Josie Stein, Features Editor

The Golden Goose Deluxe Brand was founded in 2000 by two young Venetian designers, but their designs have only recently garnered acclaim from the teen market. In the halls of CESJDS, the flashy sneakers have gained popularity and attention, and have become a noticeable fashion trend.

The standard Golden Goose sneaker design is a low-top style with a large star on the side, with many leather and fabric variations available. Many applaud these trendy kicks for their comfort, versatility and overall charm.

The shoes have gained controversy due to their prices, which range from $425 to $600 for a pair of women’s sneakers. Additionally, a majority of the styles are manufactured to come with scuffs, stains and dirt marks, which many find inappropriate for such an expensive shoe.

Sophomore Charli Galkin has three pairs of Golden Goose sneakers and has been wearing them for over a year. Galkin believes that JDS students are starting seeing these shoes when visiting large cities like New York or Los Angeles, where they have been popular for a number of years.

“My mom is from LA, and these shoes are really popular there, and she’s really stylish, so I got them,” Galkin said.  

Contrarily, junior Mia Pearce believes that the sneakers are not worth the price and that they expose flaws within the JDS social dynamic.

In a private school environment, Pearce believes JDS students have become accustomed to a standard of social comparison and privilege with regards to fashion trends.

“When [other teens] see people running around in Golden Goose shoes, they think they’re spoiled rotten, but since JDS is our every day [environment], it doesn’t feel abnormal,” Pearce said.

As teens living in what many refer to as ‘the JDS bubble,’ it can be extremely easy to become focused on status and trying to fit in with the small group of students that make up your grade.

This culture of comparison and status can foster a toxic and competitive social environment for students. Pearce finds this culture considerably unhealthy because it is not truly representative of the people that make up the student body.

Whether Golden Goose remains a trend at JDS or fades away over time, the discussion surrounding financial means as it relates to schoolwide and national trends is a conversation Pearce would like to see continue.

“I don’t think someone who wears Golden Goose is necessarily a spoiled brat, but I think it’s important that we recognize how lucky we truly are and learn how to look past money and material things in school,” Pearce said.