Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

New Beyonce movie is a must see

beyoncefilm.com
“Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce” showcases the tremendous effort and work put into her “Renaissance” tour.

Whether singing a slower song like “Dangerously in Love 2” or an upbeat power anthem like “Run the World (Girls),” Beyonce’s performances are always incredible to watch. With “Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce” in theaters, fans no longer have to attend a concert to enjoy the magic of Beyonce’s Grammy award winning album, but instead can enjoy the music and visuals while sitting in a comfortable recliner chair.

Beyonce’s new movie debuted on Dec. 1 at AMC theaters across the country and was an immediate hit, grossing over $27 million as of Dec. 4. One reason the new movie, directed and produced by Beyonce, has been so successful is because it presents a great way to enjoy music while learning more about Beyonce’s story, and I strongly recommend the movie to anyone who has not seen it yet.

The film showcases music from her latest album and gives the audience a behind-the-scenes view at what went into making the “Renaissance World Tour” a success. The 34 songs showcased throughout the movie are split up by numerous behind the scenes shots showcasing choices about lighting, backup dancers and set design while also explaining the mental and physical strain putting on a tour had on Beyonce and her family. 

Watching all the mistakes, delays and do overs Beyonce and her team faced throughout the four-year process of planning the tour gave me an appreciation for her, her music and the team behind it that I could have never experienced through a traditional concert. 

Besides the unique behind-the-scenes aspect of the movie, viewers get to enjoy listening to Beyonce’s music and experience dozens of different outfits from dozens of different concerts, which is an incredible visual feature. Watching Beyonce wear and switch between different dresses and outfits she wore at different shows made me consider all the hard work so many different people put into making Beyonce look good for her performances. 

Additionally, the film provides an opportunity to fans to watch how she performs. Although you can always listen to Beyonce’s music at home, not attending a concert means you miss the visual element a live performance offers. While the movie is not a perfect solution, the film provides an opportunity to see how Beyonce interacts with her audience. 

Although Beyonce’s movie came out in close proximity to Taylors Swift’s movie, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” the two are completely different experiences, and I recommend fans attend both. Both movies portray the albums of two incredibly famous artists who have spent almost their entire lives writing and performing songs. But while Taylor Swift’s movie is focused on showcasing her performances, Beyonce’s goes deeper with the behind the scenes shots. 

While “Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce” is long, with a showing time of 170 minutes, the movie is a must watch, as it is a great experience for anyone, fan or not, and provides viewers with a unique experience. If you have a free weekend or evening, I highly recommend grabbing a friend, sibling or parent and going to watch this movie which has already drawn in thousands of viewers.