Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

A guide to finding the best streaming service

Disney+Plus%2C+Netflix%2C+Hulu+and+Prime+Video+offer+a+variety+of+shows+and+movies+to+choose+from.+
Trustedreviews.com
Disney Plus, Netflix, Hulu and Prime Video offer a variety of shows and movies to choose from.

After a long and stressful week, I need to settle down for a couple of hours and binge-watch a new show. But with endless streaming services to choose from, I’m constantly conflicted on which to choose. Having access to all these streaming platforms can be expensive; so here are the top services that are worth the money and how they compare. 

Netflix:

Starting at $8.00 a month for a Standard Plan with ads, Netflix is the most popular streaming service globally. Netflix has the most users globally as it offers a wide range of TV shows and movies in 30 languages and in over 190 countries. Most importantly, Netflix offers original content that includes some of the top movies and TV shows each year such as “Ginny and Georgia,” “Stranger Things” and “Wednesday.” The platform is easy to navigate, and I can always find exactly what I’m looking for. 

Some of my favorites on Netflix include “Gilmore Girls,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Suits.” Netflix has my favorite classics, and it’s my go-to service when I’m looking for a good show to binge-watch. Overall, Netflix is my favorite streaming service and is worth the price per month because of the variety it provides.

Hulu:

Another top streaming platform is Hulu, although the various upgrading options make it a less pleasant experience. With prices starting at $7.99 a month, Hulu gives access to more than 85 different live channels. Hulu also offers promotions to subscribers and provides ways to upgrade for access to other services or libraries. This streaming service often produces updated, current content, yet it only releases episodes in TV series one at a time or in smaller groups. Though for some viewers, this type of release is preferable to dropping all episodes at once, but for me it is inconvenient and makes it harder for me to enjoy. 

Hulu also offers a free trial, which is appealing when deciding whether or not to purchase a service. I find it difficult to scroll through Hulu when looking for shows and movies because many of the options require me to upgrade or pay more. However, I find that Hulu’s releases always hit the spot. In contrast to Neftlix, I find that Hulu offers better movies like “White Men Can’t Jump,” “The Maze Runner” and “Encanto.” The Hulu platform is a second favorite of mine because of its options despite the difficulty I sometimes have with it. 

Disney Plus

Disney Plus is a relatively new streaming service that provides more limited content as it is targeted more generally at family friendly audiences. For a basic plan which includes ads, Disney plus costs approximately $7.99 a month, the same as Hulu. It also offers a variety of affordable plans with more or less content. The platform gives access to the famed Disney classics that appeal to many people. Additionally, a Disney Plus and Hulu bundle is available for purchase for $9.99 a month which creates an easy, affordable option that extends your viewing choices. Disney Plus includes all “Marvel” and “Star Wars” movies and TV series. It also provides content from National Geographic. 

Disney plus is my favorite platform when watching movies and shows with my family. It allows me to watch both the latest releases from Marvel while also giving me options to watch my favorite Disney classics like “Liv and Maddie” or “Jessie,” shows that are integral to my childhood. I find disney plus easy to manage, even if there are fewer options to choose from. Disney Plus is the perfect outlet for new and familiar fan favorites, especially for disney fans. All of these factors make it a top platform worth the purchase.

Prime Video

The Prime Video streaming service is more expensive as a standard plan costs $8.99 per month. Prime Video also provides a free trial for those interested in trying out the platform. Though more expensive than other platforms, Prime Video offers a larger range of shows. Users also have the ability to purchase different shows or movies on the platform, which contributes to the extensive amount of options available. Prime Video can also be bundled with Amazon Prime, which many people already have a membership for. “The Summer I Turned Pretty” is one of the most popular shows on the platform. However, Prime Video does not produce as many popular originals as other services. 

Prime Video has the classic show “Friends” and the newer movie “Oppenheimer” which is available for purchase. Though I appreciate the wide variety of content on the platform, I typically have to rent or buy certain shows or movies with my standard subscription in comparison to other platforms that give me more options without having to pay. Though I enjoy the streaming service and use it frequently, it is at the bottom of my top choice because of the total cost it tends to amount to.