Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

A balancing act: how students are able to juggle academics and outside jobs

Sophmore+Ella+Longman+works+at+Baskin+Robbins+in+Potomac+Woods.+
Sue Longman
Sophmore Ella Longman works at Baskin Robbins in Potomac Woods.

Instead of sleeping in on a weekend morning, senior Darya Dayanim is up before the sun at an urban farm, maintaining hydroponic towers and growing produce for people living with food insecurity. Dayanim works as an urban farmer for Cultivate the City, where she grows produce for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) packages. She also runs monthly plant markets for wholesale, in addition to helping those with food insecurity. 

“It’s a source of happiness and relief for me because I’m getting to be outside, and I’m doing what I love,” Dayanim said. “It’s a break from my schoolwork. Once I come home and I’m doing schoolwork, I’m super efficient because I just got to not spend time in a building for seven hours.”

Dayanim works on the weekends and two evenings a week after school. She mostly waters plants, removes weeds, harvests and maintains the facilities. Getting a job in high school has always been a priority for Dayanim, as it was important to her to make her own money and have the responsibility of a job at a young age. 

While Dayanim tends and maintains plants, senior Hannah Shank coaches kids on the tumbling and trampoline team at Silver Stars Gymnastics in Silver Spring. Shank used to be a member of the team and now works there as an assistant coach. 

Making money in high school is important to Shank and, in the process, has also taught her many important life skills, such as earning the trust of kids who perform a dangerous sport. 

“How to work with kids and coaching them I feel like is different than being a camp counselor because, in the gym that I work in, my boss/head coach really values respect between the coaches and the athletes,” Shank said.

Shank’s biggest advice is understanding the priority her job holds in relation to school. This helps her set boundaries at the gym. Jobs in high school are often at the expense of other school activities, and Shank explained that it is critical to establish early on in their jobs the importance of the job. 

Because jobs are a big commitment, Shank said that students should pick a job that aligns with their passions and is something that will make them happy as they will be spending a lot of time at it. 

Sophomore Ella Longman also loves her job at Baskin Robbins in Potomac Woods. She started working there on the shop’s opening day and got the job because she wanted to be able to be more financially independent. She works with other high school students not only scooping ice cream but also maintaining the store by refilling ice cream, cleaning tables, cleaning equipment, sweeping and cleaning the floor.

“I really like all the people that I work with, and I have fun at night when I’m working with them,” Longman said. “Because during the day I work with my boss, but at night it’s fun to work with other kids. Normally, I see one or two people that I know when I’m working at night, so that’s always nice.”

From the wide variety of jobs, Dayanim, Shank, and Longman have all learned different life lessons. The one that was common throughout was the value of flexibility and understanding that being at a junior level requires a lot of hard work.

“Be really flexible and be willing to take advice and to learn from other people. You’re starting at the bottom of the totem pole when you’re in high school with a job,” Longman said. “Follow everyone’s lead, be flexible and learn and be willing to change the way you do things.”