Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

Lions on Film: Zimriyah 2024
Abby Chesman, Media Editor • May 16, 2024

Lions in the Big Apple
Abby Chesman, Multimedia Editor • May 16, 2024

Sports like softball require more specific gear than other sports, as freshman Yarden Wilkenfeld sports a lot equipment from gear stores in the area.
Where to find the best sports gear in the area
Gigi Gordon, In-Depth Editor • May 15, 2024

Finding high-quality, low-cost sports gear has become quite the challenge these days. With countless websites and stores it can be hard to make...

Members of the swim team wear googles the day of their swim meet. Photo used with permission from Stella Muzin.
Strength in spirit: how sports teams get energized before games
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • May 14, 2024

Walking down the hallway on an early Tuesday morning, members of the girls varsity softball team can be seen wearing rain themed outfits. Despite...

Yedidya Milner-Gillers: STEM savant

Milner-Gillers and his dad met with a watch store owner who was interested in one of Milner-Gillers’ watch designs. Used with permission from Milner-Gillers.

When walking in the halls of CESJDS, one might notice someone gliding around in freeskates (a skateboard split in half with two in-line wheels on each board), or controlling a flying drone. This free spirited student is none other than junior Yedidya Milner-Gillers, an avid inventor and STEM enthusiast.

Milner-Gillers found his passion for STEM at a young age. It was specifically sparked when he moved into a new house and built the “downenator,” a vehicle made out of cardboard boxes which he would use to go down the steps.

According to Milner Gillers’ mom, Rachel Milner, Milner-Gillers first found his inspiration for building things by seeing different gadgets and inventions on TV shows.

“He loved to take things apart,” Milner said. “In the beginning, we thought it was just destructive, but actually we came to understand that he loved looking at all the parts and he loved taking the parts and putting them together to make different things.”

Ever since this first invention, Milner-Gillers has loved to tinker and has found a special fascination in building and flying drones. He discovered this fascination through his grandfather, an engineering professor who bought Milner-Gillers different tools and parts so that he could start building drones himself.

Through the end of freshman year and early sophomore year, Milner-Gillers spent his time building a drone from scratch. He even participated in a drone building program “Next Step” in Israel during the summer following his sophomore year.

“I love the mechanical aspect of it [engineering], creating things and seeing how they work,” Milner-Gillers said.

Aside from seeing him flying and building drones, you can often find Milner Gillers staring at his computer screen, looking at endless designs of watches, searching for inspiration for watches to 3D print.

“I love the mechanical aspect of it [engineering], creating things and seeing how they work.”

— Yedidya Milner-Gillers

rdboard boxes which he would use to go down the steps.

He loves to use the 3D printer at school to design and print anything imaginable. His inventions range from his friend’s heads on octopuses to a book stand for his Talmud. Milner-Gillers’ most recent project connects both his love for watches and 3D printing: a 3D printed clock that can tell the date (accounting for leap years) and also indicates praying times based on the sunrise and sunset.

“I love 3D printing everything and anything…” Milner-Gillers said “I always want to learn and build things, and I’m taking 3D printing class right now so I can learn how to use better software and design things better.”

According to MilnerGillers, JDS’ STEM program has made a large impact in helping to foster and support his love for STEM. He has taken engineering courses at school, and is currently taking 3D printing. He also enjoys going to the Maker Space at school where he is supported by high school STEM teacher and Head of the Maker Space Rustom Meyer.

“The Maker Space is a space for students to come and build whatever it is that they are interested in building, and I try to support whoever shows up there with an idea,” Meyer said. “Yedidya knows a bit more about how to use some of the more advanced equipment in this space… he’s very creative and passionate about STEM.”

Milner-Gillers is unsure of what his future holds, but he knows that his engineering skills will be useful for any circumstance or situation.

“Even if I don’t go into engineering, like if I want to go into business or finance or real estate, I still want to be able to make things on my own,” Milner-Gillers said “Creating things, making things and tinkering, all things I love and want to continue to do for the rest of my life.”