Grappling with cancellation

Matan Silverberg and Max Schwartz, Incoming Managing Editor, Copy and Reporter

After the CESJDS wrestling season was canceled, former members of the team strove to find alternative activities for the winter season. Finding other wrestling teams, joining another sport or taking a season off were among the options for the wrestlers to pursue. 

According to Athletic Director Becky Silberman, the cancellation of the wrestling season was COVID-19-related. JDS was put in a difficult position because the official JDS medical advisory board deemed it unsafe for wrestlers to wear masks; however, JDS wanted their athletes masked when competing against other schools. Thus, JDS chose to drop out of the season. 

Wrestling coach Chuck Woolery was disappointed that the JDS team could no longer participate as he was especially excited to see his stars perform and mature.

“Most disappointing for me was not getting to see [junior] Sam Winkler and [junior] Oliver Ferber, our only conference champion in four years, compete again for JDS these two seasons.”  

Winkler, a member of the team since eighth grade, remained committed to wrestling. Competing for another school was immediately an option considered, as he already trained with schools other than JDS such as Rockville High School and Richard Montgomery. 

Winkler was denied the opportunity to wrestle for some of the public schools in his area, such as Rockville High School, Richard Montgomery and Wooton. However, Coach Silberman helped Winkler receive a spot on the St. Anselm’s Abbey wrestling team. According to Silberman, private schools, unlike public schools, allow for athletes participating in individually based sports to compete for another school’s athletic program, even if that is not the school they attend.

Winkler has been off to a successful start, securing a victory in both of his matches, which were against Potomac School on Dec. 1 and Model School for the Deaf on Dec. 12. While he misses the camaraderie of the JDS team, he appreciates the competitive environment at Anselms. 

“We all want to win. We all want to be champions. We all just push each other to be our best,” Winkler said. “Our competitiveness comes from just being there together putting in the work.” 

Ferber, a member of the varsity cross country team, chose to continue running through the winter season.Woolery, however, was looking forward to seeing Ferber’s cross country training translate itself to success in wrestling. 

“Oliver has grown so much. It would have been wonderful to see how his cardio conditioning and leg leverage could have dominated his league opponents this year,” Woolery said. 

While Ferber does miss wrestling, he enjoys how running is a calming yet challenging activity. 

“It is very meditative when you are alone,” Ferber said. “I like being outside and the brisk air. I like the workouts, the grind, and we are sitting in school for such a long time so it is a very good way to get a workout in… there is a push yourself to your limit part but there also is distance runs with friends.”

JDS wrestlers are hopeful that wrestling will return next winter and they will get the chance to compete for their school.

“Sam has what it takes to bring the attention of college coaches to JDS wrestling his senior year,” Woolery said. “All we can do is pray that COVID-19 variants will cease and give Sam that opportunity.