The meaning of Hispanic Heritage Month for a student with strong Peruvian roots

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Ben Robinson

photo by Ben Robinson

photo by Ben Robinson

Naomi Jaray, Guest Writer

Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to celebrate Hispanic culture and heritage in the United States. Though this month is not widely celebrated, it is very important to be recognized in schools and organizations such as CESJDS. I appreciate how the school incorporates Hispanic culture and spirit into the normal daily schedule, through bell tones and Hispanic food during lunch. It helps to inform students who might not know of this special month and makes them pay more attention to what people with Hispanic backgrounds are really about.

I am extremely proud of my Latin roots and brag about them often. My mom grew up in Peru and I lived there for a year when I was eight years old. I grew up surrounded by a stereotypical Hispanic family who is loud, dramatic and always eating delicious foods. Blasting Spanish music and dancing at family events is normal and is something that makes the Hispanic culture so special. I would say that living in the United States with this crazy fun culture behind me is the best and makes Hispanic Americans like me unique. We bring the best of both worlds. For example, would you expect a typical Americans to play salsa music and dance around the house with your thousands of cousins on Thanksgiving? Hearing the bells play Spanish songs this week brings a smile to my face, and I can’t help but to sing along.