Sophomore hurdles into study break

Lauren Katz balances schoolwork, equestrian competition

Katz+and+show+horse+Frangelico+jump+over+a+3+feet+high+hurdle+during+her+competition.+

Photo Courtesy of Riley King

Katz and show horse Frangelico jump over a 3 feet high hurdle during her competition.

Devira Friedman, Sports Editor

Sophomore Lauren Katz traded in snowy streets for warm fields, leggings for riding pants and textbooks for saddles to compete in the Gulf Coast Winter Classic horse show in Gulfport, Miss.

From Feb. 22 to March 12, Katz left Maryland every Wednesday night for Gulfport and came back on Sunday night. In total, Katz missed six days of school in order to compete over a three week period.

When Katz was in Gulfport, she competed against six to seven other riders, all of whom faced 3-foot jumps. Jumpers are judged based on both the horse and rider’s performance. Then, depending on their performance, riders are awarded ribbons, each with a different point value. Katz finished in second place the first two weeks, champion the last week and finished in second place overall in her division.

“[The horse show] was really good. I think it really improved [my riding] a lot over a short period of time,” Katz said. “I think it was just something not a lot of people can and will do because of the commitment and time it takes, but I think I’m really glad I did it and I learned a lot.”

In order to support students like Katz who miss many days of school due to sports competitions, the guidance department helps students stay on top of their work. Katz’s guidance counselor, Rachel Soifer, said that she typically helps students create work schedules and communicate with their teachers. Soifer’s goal is to help the student follow their passion without falling too far behind in school.

“If a student has all the pieces in place, we want to do everything we can to support outside interests and passions that help you grow,” Soifer said.

In addition to consulting Soifer, Katz met with a tutor twice a week in Gulfport. This tutor understood Katz’s curriculum and made sure that she kept up with her work while she was away.

Katz first became interested in horseback riding because of her mother, Rachel Katz. Rachel had always loved horseback riding and as an adult she got horseback riding lessons as a gift. After watching her mother, six-year-old Lauren became interested in taking lessons herself.

Throughout her horseback riding career, Lauren has had to travel to horse shows in a variety of places. Normally, when Lauren has a competition she misses a day at the beginning or end of the week. This competition, however, was three weeks long which forced Lauren to travel back and forth each week.

“This year, it is a little crazy, flying home on a Sunday night, then flying out again on Wednesday, but [we managed] and it has been really fun,” Rachel said.

As a result of the long competition, Lauren’s parents have needed to alter their work schedules. Rachel was fortunate enough to be able to take the time off of work to travel with Lauren all three weeks, while Lauren’s father, Joe Katz, was able to go the first two weeks, but had to stay back the third week because Lauren’s sister had soccer commitments.

According to Rachel, the role of a parent at horse shows changes as the child competes at a more advanced level. Rachel said that when Lauren was younger she had a more physical and prominent role working behind the scenes of Lauren’s competitions. Now that Lauren is older and more experienced, however, that has changed.

“As she’s progressing to a higher level, I just want to go as the parent and I’m just really there for support and to watch,” Rachel Katz said.

For Lauren, horseback riding isn’t entirely about the competitions. She enjoys practicing and spending time with the horses to take her mind off of schoolwork.

“I find it really fun because I get to spend time with my horses and it is just a time where I get to let all my anxiety out,” Lauren said.