This will be the fourth debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
Israel-Hamas War topics to look out for in the Presidential Debate
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • June 26, 2024

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden...

Lions On Film: What advice do you have for students entering your current grade next year?
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Money doesn’t grow on trees
Money doesn’t grow on trees
Ari Kittrie, Managing Editor, Web • June 2, 2024

The end of the school year means juniors like myself will soon need to consider tuition prices for higher education across the United States....

Summer shouldn't be serious
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • June 2, 2024

Since I was seven years old, I’ve spent my academic years looking forward to my three-week session at Capital Camps each summer. Despite any...

Education miscalculation
Education miscalculation
Maiya Blumenthal and Aviv SteinJune 2, 2024

When I went to Israel with my family for the first time in the summer of 2018, I was captivated by the country. Not only did I love walking around...

Bring them home
Bring them home
The Lion's TaleJune 2, 2024

In the midst of all of the protests seen on various college campuses across the country, it seems as though the Israel-Hamas war has become even...

Spotlight on STEM

Penelope Terl
High school math teacher John Watkins- Chow teaches students about the Sierpinski triangle with a hands-on method.

As a part of the inter-school partnership, students, teachers and administrators from Bishop McNamara High School (BMHS) visited CESJDS on March 15 to explore the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs. In the inaugural year of the partnership, the focus was on the arts and humanities programs, according to Upper School STEM Director Alexandra Brown. This year, on Nov. 11, JDS visited BMHS to learn more about their new Innovation Center for science and technology. In turn, BMHS visited JDS to engage in its STEM programs by participating in three different STEM stations alongside JDS high school students.

The first station, meant to interest BMHS and JDS students in engineering programming, instructed students to create stomp rockets out of paper and then launch them using PVC pipes into the air. Students redesigned the rockets to send them higher upon each launch by choosing different nose and fin shapes. Although the activities were tailored for students, Brown hopes that teachers from both schools gained something as well. BMHS recently added an Innovation Center to its buildings, which is, according to Brown, similar to the JDS Makerspace and STEM iLabs. “I think [the partnership helps] build relationships between the students, which is really important,” Brown said.“… I think this is a perfect opportunity [for students] to go outside the JDS bubble in a real way.”

Led by high school science teacher Kimberly Agzigian, another station examined DNA profiling through a hypothetical mystery, named “Who Chewed Beyonce’s Jimmy Choo’s? How DNA Profiling Saved the Renaissance Tour.” In this lab, students studied various DNA profiles to match them up with DNA left at the “crime scene.” DNA profiling is commonly used in both criminal cases and the medical field. Students learned how to extract, separate and stain DNA, and how to apply these skills to the real world. Students from both schools were able to bond while engaging in the activity. “I feel like the partnership helps form connections [between BMHS and JDS],” sophomore Anaelle Kastan said. “We got to know them and worked with them to create something new and exciting.”

Delving further into STEM, BMHS and JDS students fold colored circles into Sierpinski triangles, a mathematical concept that examines fractals, patterns and repetitions within the shape. High school math teacher John Watkins- Chow taught students about the Sierpinski triangle with a hands-on method, instructing them to create origami tetrahedrons of their own. Watkins-Chow enjoyed the opportunity to teach the concept to both JDS and BMHS students in a fun and interactive way. “We wanted to give them [visitors from BMHS] a little demo model of something that’s kind of a cool math idea that students [might not] have seen in regular classes,” Watkins-Chow said.