Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

A scene we’ve seen

As I sat in the movie theater at the end of Steven Spielberg’s remake of “West Side Story,” I couldn’t help but feel disappointed. Although it was a beautiful display of cinematography, I wondered why an accomplished director like Spielberg would use his directorial abilities to create a remake that didn’t even live up to the original movie.

I thought that this could be attributed to Spielberg challenging himself to bring a musical to the big screen, his desire for a more diverse cast or to subtly show the dangers of division in a politically heated time. Regardless of his intentions, it is reflective of the underlying philosophy of Hollywood in the past five years: to find the movies that make the most money at the expense of original ideas. 

Cinema is the least original of all the arts in the past five years. The overabundance of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and live-action remakes of animated movies are bringing great profit to Hollywood. Still, they fail to provide new and exciting storylines that give viewers a new insight or emotional connection, something that remakes cannot provide. 

In the digital age, endless resources are at our fingertips, making producing movies easier than ever. So why is it that Hollywood executives are incapable of producing original ideas? 

The answer lies in the priorities of Hollywood. Hollywood has produced its own formula: brightly colored plotlines that are easy to follow and star-studded casts full of mediocre acting. This combination yields huge box office results, but I often leave movie theatres uninspired. Even in comedies, the jokes have resorted to either politically correct humor or watered-down jokes that don’t contribute to the plot. 

Hollywood has shifted its priorities from producing quality movies to movies with great economic potential. To show the extent to which Hollywood has perpetrated high-grossing and predictable movies, the highest-grossing movies of 2022 were Avatar: The Way of Water, Top Gun: Maverick, Jurassic World Dominion, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Minions: The Rise of Gru, and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, according to IMDb. None of these movies holds a new revolutionary idea, as they are all spin-offs of previous successful franchises. 

People watch these movies because people know what they are getting out of the movie, and as humans we like familiarity. While Hollywood might be profitable in the short term, the long term looks bleak, as producers will inevitably run out of movies to remake. 

But what does creating an excellent movie mean? Possibly it is the clever screenplay and the underlying social commentary in Disney’s “Toy Story.” Maybe it is creating the extraordinary out of the ordinary, with “Good Will Hunting” a fantastic example. Perhaps it is a glimpse into human nature told through stories that bring a new emotional depth to an issue, as Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” does. 

Regardless, if Hollywood continues to prioritize money-making instead of creating art, society will be cursed with societal banality that extends much farther than just the realm of cinema.