This will be the fourth debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
Israel-Hamas War topics to look out for in the Presidential Debate
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • June 26, 2024

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden...

Lions On Film: What advice do you have for students entering your current grade next year?
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Money doesn’t grow on trees
Money doesn’t grow on trees
Ari Kittrie, Managing Editor, Web • June 2, 2024

The end of the school year means juniors like myself will soon need to consider tuition prices for higher education across the United States....

Summer shouldn't be serious
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • June 2, 2024

Since I was seven years old, I’ve spent my academic years looking forward to my three-week session at Capital Camps each summer. Despite any...

Education miscalculation
Education miscalculation
Maiya Blumenthal and Aviv SteinJune 2, 2024

When I went to Israel with my family for the first time in the summer of 2018, I was captivated by the country. Not only did I love walking around...

Bring them home
Bring them home
The Lion's TaleJune 2, 2024

In the midst of all of the protests seen on various college campuses across the country, it seems as though the Israel-Hamas war has become even...

Truth above all else

“Wow, that’s crazy,” I remember saying as Director of Publications Jessica Nassau turned the lights back on. It was freshman year, and my Journalism I class had just finished watching “Shattered Glass,” a movie about Stephen Glass, a news reporter who fabricated his news stories. I was shocked by Glass’s lack of moral clarity.

As I do whenever I encounter a serious topic, I cracked a few jokes about the ingenuity behind Glass’ plot, but his actions never ceased to disgust me. Truth and honesty are not only moral imperatives, but also pivotal in ensuring accurate reporting and fostering public trust. I have spent the past two years dedicated to upholding these virtues of truth and honesty in my role as News Editor.

Sadly, it has become increasingly evident in recent weeks that not all news sources are as dedicated to upholding journalistic values as The Lion’s Tale. Stephen Glass was not alone in neglecting morals.

Take, for instance, Hassan Eslaiah, a freelance photographer whose work appeared in CNN, AP News, Reuters and The New York Times. He was found to have an inappropriate relationship with the terrorist group Hamas after a photo was released showing him receiving a kiss on the cheek from Hamas’ Gaza chief, Yahya Sinwar leaked, followed by a video depicting Eslaiah with Hamas militants en route to participate in the massacre of over 1200 Jews in southern Israel on Oct. 7.

Despite AP News and CNN severing ties with Eslaiah, their oversight regarding his involvement with a terrorist group is alarming. News organizations must maintain impartial reporting.

As I conclude my tenure at The Lion’s Tale, I want to commend our incredible reporters. They consistently uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity. Their commitment to meticulous fact-checking and prompt correction of errors serves as an example. I can only hope that other journalists hold themselves to similar ethical standards.