Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

Truth above all else

“Wow, that’s crazy,” I remember saying as Director of Publications Jessica Nassau turned the lights back on. It was freshman year, and my Journalism I class had just finished watching “Shattered Glass,” a movie about Stephen Glass, a news reporter who fabricated his news stories. I was shocked by Glass’s lack of moral clarity.

As I do whenever I encounter a serious topic, I cracked a few jokes about the ingenuity behind Glass’ plot, but his actions never ceased to disgust me. Truth and honesty are not only moral imperatives, but also pivotal in ensuring accurate reporting and fostering public trust. I have spent the past two years dedicated to upholding these virtues of truth and honesty in my role as News Editor.

Sadly, it has become increasingly evident in recent weeks that not all news sources are as dedicated to upholding journalistic values as The Lion’s Tale. Stephen Glass was not alone in neglecting morals.

Take, for instance, Hassan Eslaiah, a freelance photographer whose work appeared in CNN, AP News, Reuters and The New York Times. He was found to have an inappropriate relationship with the terrorist group Hamas after a photo was released showing him receiving a kiss on the cheek from Hamas’ Gaza chief, Yahya Sinwar leaked, followed by a video depicting Eslaiah with Hamas militants en route to participate in the massacre of over 1200 Jews in southern Israel on Oct. 7.

Despite AP News and CNN severing ties with Eslaiah, their oversight regarding his involvement with a terrorist group is alarming. News organizations must maintain impartial reporting.

As I conclude my tenure at The Lion’s Tale, I want to commend our incredible reporters. They consistently uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity. Their commitment to meticulous fact-checking and prompt correction of errors serves as an example. I can only hope that other journalists hold themselves to similar ethical standards.