Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

I do it for the bit

Laughter has always felt like a necessity to me. Maybe it isn’t for others, but it should be. Luckily, I have grown up in a family that prioritizes laughter as much as I do.

Laughter and silliness have helped me in many ways. They have acted as a stress reliever for tests and assessments, allowing me to feel more relaxed than I did before. Moreover, laughter has helped me feel more comfortable in social settings and around others. Laughter has catalyzed opening up to others and connecting with them.

Laughter is a great outlet to deal with thoughts and feelings, especially for adolescents. They can go about this in two ways: trying to be funny and getting people to laugh, or seeking out funny things for themselves. I have found both to be effective for me.

However, I have learned that in high school there is a time and place for laughter, and it is essential to understand when it is okay to be goofy, and when you need to be serious. Don’t cross lines that should not be crossed or trivialize something important just to get a laugh. Friendships can often be ruined by an insensitive and poorly timed joke.

This year, I was voted as the class clown, and yet, in my 13 years at JDS, I have never been sent to the office or disciplined through detention or suspension. For me, this proves that laughter can and should be used as a resource and not as a weapon. Laughter has helped me connect with my friends and improve my grades. I encourage every person to find their source of laughter.