Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

Mindset Matters

Mindset+Matters

Throughout my time in high school, I’ve made many mistakes, intentional or inadvertent, in all facets of my life. I used to beat myself up and had a perpetuating, self-deprecating and pessimistic attitude whenever I did something that I deemed wrong. Even something as small as forgetting to complete a homework assignment or not ending a conversation in what I thought was the best way possible felt crushing. This attitude led me to spiral out of control, making me see myself in a much worse light than what was in reality. I know I didn’t take advantage of the opportunities to learn from my mistakes to the best of my ability.

In the past couple of months, I’ve become more flexible in the way I view any mistakes or changes in my life. It was exhausting to be constantly angry at myself for no logical reason. By letting go of my grudges, I was able to open up my mind to valuable lessons and experiences that I would not have been able to have otherwise. Like Billy Joel said, “You’re not the only one who’s made mistakes, but they’re the only things that you can truly call your own. Don’t forget your second wind.”

With enough intentional effort and work, any seemingly negative change in our lives can serve as a way to learn more about ourselves or our peers. A friend said something that caught you off guard? You didn’t get a grade you wanted on a test and your grade drops as a result? It’s going to be okay. Being introspective and considering all aspects of a situation can help remove yourself from the strong emotions associated with it and therefore allow you to proceed in the most logical way possible.