Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

JDS hosts fifth annual STEM day

Sophomore Amalia Netter uses magnetic granite power to uncover her fingerprint in the Forensic Crime Scene Investigation session
Gila Safra

The CESJDS high school gathered in the auditorium on Wednesday, Nov. 8 to kick off the 5th annual STEM Day conference. Everyone had the opportunity to hear from keynote speaker Maya Lieber (‘12), a civil engineer and superintendent at Clark Construction. 

JDS hosted 26 speakers throughout the day, including seven alumni and at least five parents. According to Director of Upper School STEM, Alexandra Brown, she has been planning for this day since her first day on the job this past summer. 

The day consisted of Lieber’s keynote presentation, followed by two blocks where students got to choose which sessions to attend via a survey sent to them a few weeks prior. This year, the STEM day schedule was adjusted to only fill a half day whereas in previous years it replaced a full day of classes. 

“[Most students] got sessions that they’re interested in, and there [was] a lot of very varied and interesting speakers,” sophomore and STEM fellow Lucy Ginsburg said. “I hope that everyone, even if they didn’t get their top choices, [found] something they’re at least a little bit interested in.”

Topics included Civil War Medicine, Meteorology and even opportunities to participate in community service projects. Brown said that STEM day was planned with a twofold vision: for students to see the variation in STEM professions, and to find something that interests them. 

STEM fellows, all high school students, helped Brown by facilitating and introducing the presentations throughout the day. They also got to know the speakers on a more personal level by having lunch with them.  

“I think, especially for people who are interested in working in STEM-related fields, it was very powerful to see so many different careers that people had chosen that were related to STEM,” junior Aliza Lesser said. “And I think for other people too, it’s a way to connect some stuff that we learned in school to real professions in real-life situations.”

Lesser attended the “Unlocking Ancient Texts with New Tools: A Data-Centered Study of the Mishnah and Midrashei Halakha” and “Sports Physical Therapy” sessions. She said she was grateful that students could request sessions because she was able to attend topics that interested her outside of school. She said that, for her, the day served as a career day of sorts, allowing her to explore and envision her passions. For others, it was also a way to discover new passions. 

“[It’s] really exciting because all of the speakers that are coming in, they’re volunteering to do this, and to share their time with us and share their expertise with us,” Brown said. “They [were] all really excited to come, and it’s kind of adorable to talk to them and hear how much they want to share about their lives with the students.”