Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

D.C. Jewish community gathers by Lincoln Memorial to show recognition for the hostages

Display+showcases+high-chairs%2C+chairs%2C+flowers+and+a+sign+for+all+viewers+to+see.+
Mia Forseter
Display showcases high-chairs, chairs, flowers and a sign for all viewers to see.

Four high chairs and over 100 empty chairs surrounded a Shabbat table set in front of the Lincoln Memorial, representing the hostages in Gaza who cannot enjoy Shabbat. The empty chairs represented only about half of the hostages taken by Hamas who are yet to be returned. The DC Jewish community gathered in solemn memory of those taken on Oct. 7, hoping for their quick return. People waved flags from many countries whose citizens had been abducted. 

During the event, families of hostages spoke about their missing loved ones and flyers bearing their names and pictures were distributed. Attendees were asked to share the flyers to spread awareness and to recognize the individuals taken.

“They asked us to put [the flyers of the captives] up in the air and to show the world how many and who [they are],” sophomore and Israeli Shahar Levi said. “I thought it was really meaningful to show each and every one of the kidnapped.”

Prayers for peace and for soldiers, as well as Shabbat melodies, were sung in honor of the hostages.

During the singing of the traditional Shabbat song, Shalom Alechem, the people gathered sang a fifth stanza, “shuvchem l’shalom” praying that the hostages should return in peace.

Rabbi Corey Helfand of Ohr Kodesh helped introduce and lead prayers for Shabbat with Cantor Hinda Labovitz after the families of hostages spoke. 

“It was pretty overwhelming in the sense that…you feel helpless that you can’t do more,” Helfand said. “It’s also overwhelming to see all of those empty chairs as a representation of those who are missing and who we don’t know what’s going on with. It’s pretty hard to believe. ”

The setup of the space provided a visualization of the enormity of the people abducted by Hamas. 

“I found it very profound to be able to look around and appreciate both the enormity of that number and also the sheer magnitude of loss of that number,” Helfand said. “And I think the image that they were creating [with] that empty table and those chairs of different shapes and sizes captured it in a way that we often can’t capture in words.”

Levi felt that while the event was extremely meaningful, there was not as much support from the community as she had expected. 

“There weren’t many people, and I felt really upset about it,” Levi said. “There weren’t many people supporting the cause of the event like bringing the hostages back. There weren’t many people there, and I thought it would be disrespectful for all the captives and murdered.”

Overall, according to Helfand, the event helped humanize and remember the people who have been taken by Hamas.

“It’s an important reminder that we shouldn’t reduce what’s happening to numbers alone. It’s easy to say there’s 220 plus hostages,” Helfand said. “It’s easy to say that there were 1400 people who were murdered. It’s important that we also remember that each one of those people is a person with a story and a family and people who loved them and cared about them. So much gets lost when we just reduce things to numbers alone.”