Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

School hosts teen summit to teach about Israel-Hamas war

Students+listen+to+Dr.+Rosenthals+presentation+about+the+current+war.+
Vi
Students listen to Dr. Rosenthal’s presentation about the current war.

On Sunday, Oct. 22 CESJDS and the Center for Excellence and Engagement in Jewish History (CEEJH), partnered with the American Jewish Committee to host a teen summit at the JDS upper school, focusing on “Israel, Gaza, and our Jewish World Today.”

At this summit, any Jewish teen in the area was given an opportunity to learn about the Israel-Hamas War and attend a vigil held in solidarity with Israel.

This event was split into three segments. During the first segment, three different seminars were offered; one seminar reviewed America’s response to the war, one explained the history of Arab-Israeli conflicts and one offered a lesson on current events in Israel.

These seminars were taught by experts on the subject. One such speaker was Jewish History Department Chair Dr. Daniel Rosenthal.

“It really was an opportunity for teens to learn, ask questions and come together in a show of support for Israel, but also for Jewish students in the area who don’t necessarily know where to turn,” Dr. Rosenthal said. “So it was really aiming to provide a resource and a place for solidarity and learning.”

In addition to these seminars, the summit held a vigil in honor of the fallen soldiers and civilians in Israel. This included student speakers who inspired fellow teens to continue to learn about Israel and spread awareness on the ongoing conflicts. 

The vigil also featured a speech from Minister-Counsel for Middle East Affairs Noa Ginosar. She spoke of teens and their potential for involvement as a sign of hope, highlighting the importance of talking to teens directly on the war. 

“I think that teens are going through a very uniquely difficult time because on the one hand, there’s a lot of information to take in,” Ginosar said. “On the other hand, you guys are at the forefront of seeing the onslaught of distortion of reality on social media, and that puts you in a really tough spot.“

In her speech, Ginosar offered some insightful advice on how teens can stay actively involved in the ongoing crisis in Israel. Ginsoar advised teens to be proud of the Israeli and Jewish identity and people. She also advised to tell the stories and honor the people who have been killed and taken hostage in Israel, as well as to join groups in the area to try to help the Israeli people.

“Ultimately, everything happening now will continue to affect us all for the rest of our lives,” Ginosar said. “This is your reality that you’re holding, so you have to take part in it.”

“There haven’t been a lot of resources for teens,” Dr. Rosenthal said. “JDS students are lucky because they have a lot of resources and we’ve been trying to have info sessions and opportunities to ask questions, which has been a great resource for them. It made sense to provide that resource more broadly.”