Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

Hollywood strikes back

Writers and actors deserve fair contracts from movie studios
Fabebk License Link: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en

For the first time in 63 years, Hollywood writers and actors are participating in a joint strike against production companies. The strike stems from concerns about technological developments in the field and the implications they have on pay structures.

As movie and TV consumers, we may experience a slower rate of media releases in the coming months because the Writer’s Guild of America (WGA), along with the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) are on strike. While this is frustrating, we ask that our readers give the WGA and SAG-AFTRA some grace. When you enjoy a silly comedy or a gut-wrenching drama, understand that a lot of work goes into these pieces of visual entertainment.

The WGA strike demands protections against artificial intelligence (AI) and fair residuals for content released on streaming services. Members of the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) joined the strike on July 14, making this the first joint writers’ and actors’ strike in Hollywood since 1960.

The 1960 WGA strike established the system of residual wages that are currently in dispute. Residuals are payments that people who worked on a film or TV show receive when their content runs on cable television, which unions negotiate. Actors and writers also receive residuals when a consumer buys a physical copy of their content, like a DVD.

Technically, Hollywood workers receive residuals from subscription streaming services, but these payments are negligible compared to the residuals actors and writers receive from television broadcasts. Residuals from streaming services are often not proportional to the popularity of a show and, according to ABC News, many streaming services do not release viewership figures.

The current structure of residuals maximizes the money that production companies can make from media released on streaming services. From a business perspective, it makes sense to maximize profit, but it results in unfair compensation for Hollywood workers.

AI is also a crucial element to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strike. For writers, AI poses a threat to the credit they receive for their written material. They are open to using AI as a tool to augment their writing, but they are concerned that doing so could diminish the prestige they receive for their work. Additionally, actors are concerned that AI’s growing ability to imitate a person’s voice and likeness could render their craft obsolete.

It is hard to draw the line between smart business practices and exploitation. While it is important for production companies to make enough profit to sustain their businesses, it is also important that actors and writers have proper conditions and compensation for their hard work.

As high school journalists, we understand the passion and dedication it requires to generate high-quality written material. It is imperative that we value writers’, actors’ and crews’ creativity over production companies’ bottom line. At the Lion’s Tale, we stand with the WGA and SAG-AFTRA as they strike.