One Love successfully brings emphasis to the life of Bob Marley along with Jamaica’s political landscape.
"One Love" is a moving representation of Jamacian culture
Eliana Abrams, Reporter • February 26, 2024

Whether listening to Bob Marley at the beach on a hot summer day or in the dead of winter, his positive persona always radiates. Bob Marley’s...

Junior Yedidya Milner-Gillers spends his snow day with his Imadi buddy. Photo from Yedidya Milner-GIllers.
Local organization provides assistance to children and families affected by pediatric health diagnoses
Leora Blumenthal, Guest Writer • February 25, 2024

As he opens a graduation invitation from a child with brain cancer whom he started taking care of from the age of seven, executive director of...

Shtisel and You are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah are just two examples of the extremist portrayal of Jewish people, in the media.
Finding the middle ground: media should not just show the extreme sides of Judaism
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • February 25, 2024

When I learned about the movie “You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah,” I was excited to see a movie that would portray modern Judaism...

Subject to change

Administration adjusts Upper School curriculum
Adin Halbfinger

Several high school courses and programs are getting significant updates this school year. The freshman biology course will now be organized around storylines, the junior Hebrew curriculum will be centered around the theme of positive psychology and a Talmud II ECP class will now be offered to the sophomore class.

The updated biology “storylines” lesson plan is based on a curriculum designed by Next Generation Science Standards, a national effort to create new education standards. Melissa Andrew, ninth grade dean and high school biology teacher, is introducing this approach to connect biology to real-world scenarios. Each storyline will start with an anchoring phenomenon, a video or other forms of media, that will prompt discussion about new concepts.

“It’s almost like you get to practice being a scientist, and that you’re making an observation [about the anchoring phenomenon],” Andrew said. “You’re following the scientific method by making an observation and then starting to ask all of the questions that would be generated from that observation.”

The Hebrew department is also implementing changes to their curriculum that are meant to appeal to students’ welfare and build confidence in their Hebrew skills. According to Upper School Hebrew Language Chair Shelli Putterman-Kennett, the new junior year curriculum will focus on positive psychology and identity.

“Through the use of authentic materials, various activities, projects and interactive lessons, students will use the theme of happiness and positive psychology to learn more deeply about themselves, about their well-being and how they can help themselves think in a positive way,” Putterman-Kennett said.

The goal is to focus on developing important skills like research, public presentation and comprehension of current events, in addition to building Hebrew language proficiency.

Along with these curriculum changes, a new policy regarding SSL hours is being introduced to the ninth grade. Students will still need to complete 80 hours of service to graduate, but the direct service requirement has been removed. Instead, a new community service program called “Taking on Tikkun Olam” is being rolled out, with a focus on transitioning students to view community service as a learning experience.

“I don’t want community service to feel like it’s a requirement or a chore, but something that students can meaningfully engage and connect with,” High School Principal and Campus Head Dr. Lisa Vardi said.

In order to support this experience, freshmen will learn in their advisories about various local volunteering organizations, listen to guest speakers and visit local non-profits.

Senior Alec Silberg, who accumulated 68 service hours with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), agrees with the importance of building a connection with specific organizations.

“Going deep into one organization made my work more meaningful and let me get a good understanding of LLS and their work, what I like and even don’t like about it,” Silberg said.

Each of these new curriculums and programs are being implemented with the goal of enhancing the student experience and cultivating a meaningful learning environment.

“It’s about making sure that our students have outstanding programming, [and] excellent opportunities,” Vardi said.