Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

Subject to change

Administration adjusts Upper School curriculum
Adin Halbfinger

Several high school courses and programs are getting significant updates this school year. The freshman biology course will now be organized around storylines, the junior Hebrew curriculum will be centered around the theme of positive psychology and a Talmud II ECP class will now be offered to the sophomore class.

The updated biology “storylines” lesson plan is based on a curriculum designed by Next Generation Science Standards, a national effort to create new education standards. Melissa Andrew, ninth grade dean and high school biology teacher, is introducing this approach to connect biology to real-world scenarios. Each storyline will start with an anchoring phenomenon, a video or other forms of media, that will prompt discussion about new concepts.

“It’s almost like you get to practice being a scientist, and that you’re making an observation [about the anchoring phenomenon],” Andrew said. “You’re following the scientific method by making an observation and then starting to ask all of the questions that would be generated from that observation.”

The Hebrew department is also implementing changes to their curriculum that are meant to appeal to students’ welfare and build confidence in their Hebrew skills. According to Upper School Hebrew Language Chair Shelli Putterman-Kennett, the new junior year curriculum will focus on positive psychology and identity.

“Through the use of authentic materials, various activities, projects and interactive lessons, students will use the theme of happiness and positive psychology to learn more deeply about themselves, about their well-being and how they can help themselves think in a positive way,” Putterman-Kennett said.

The goal is to focus on developing important skills like research, public presentation and comprehension of current events, in addition to building Hebrew language proficiency.

Along with these curriculum changes, a new policy regarding SSL hours is being introduced to the ninth grade. Students will still need to complete 80 hours of service to graduate, but the direct service requirement has been removed. Instead, a new community service program called “Taking on Tikkun Olam” is being rolled out, with a focus on transitioning students to view community service as a learning experience.

“I don’t want community service to feel like it’s a requirement or a chore, but something that students can meaningfully engage and connect with,” High School Principal and Campus Head Dr. Lisa Vardi said.

In order to support this experience, freshmen will learn in their advisories about various local volunteering organizations, listen to guest speakers and visit local non-profits.

Senior Alec Silberg, who accumulated 68 service hours with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), agrees with the importance of building a connection with specific organizations.

“Going deep into one organization made my work more meaningful and let me get a good understanding of LLS and their work, what I like and even don’t like about it,” Silberg said.

Each of these new curriculums and programs are being implemented with the goal of enhancing the student experience and cultivating a meaningful learning environment.

“It’s about making sure that our students have outstanding programming, [and] excellent opportunities,” Vardi said.