Boys varsity tennis defeats rivals at home

Abby Chesman, Dimensions

Freshman Coby Schlactus engages in a rally during his match against Berman.

Lily Rulnick, Features Editor

Parents and fellow teammates alike anxiously watched as the boys varsity tennis team played their rivals, the Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy Cougars, on April 24. Adding another win to their three-game streak, the Lions defeated the Cougars 3-2.

While most matches ended with incredibly close scores, sophomore and number one singles player Evan Klepper finished with a final score of 10-5. The win felt especially rewarding for Klepper, as he and his opponent had previously competed and ended up playing an intense tie-breaker.

“I knew I could beat him…” Klepper said. “I don’t think I played the best I could last time, and I think I played a little better this time, and I think it showed a little bit.”

Most matches did not look like Klepper’s. Despite putting up a thorough fight throughout the match, juniors and doubles partners Nate Shemony and co-captain Alec Silberg lost 10-8.

Even with their loss, Shemony and Silberg proved to be a fierce doubles pair despite not having played a league match together since the beginning of the season. The two of them showed great communication and tennis strategy.

“I think that they played a different kind of tennis than we’re used to and that [we were] prepping for…” Silberg said. “But we kept going back and forth and it just came down to the last few points.”

Sophomore Yedidya Milner-Gillers met a similar fate, losing his match 11-9. Through his impressive serves and consistent groundstrokes, Milner-Gillers was able to hold his ground until the end, when small mistakes led to his defeat.

JDS did end up with another win, as doubles team junior Eliot Rogal and freshman Josh Dori defeated their opponents 10-3. They had a consistent lead throughout the match and secured the win for the Lions.

Overall, Coach and physical education teacher Alex Kirsch was content with how his team played and was proud of the effort they exuded. Looking forward, he strives to emphasize a commitment to team support and incorporating “a sense of urgency” as the season swiftly comes to a close.

“We [played] them right before break and it was a very similar feel to the match and this time, going into the match, I felt really confident in the team because I knew what to expect from the opponent…” Kirsch said. “Being able to win three matches in a row is just a positive momentum and a good trend.”