Broadway star and middle school alum Ethan Slater speaks to students

Ethan+Slater+was+interviewed+by+senior+Talia+Shemony+and+junior+Dylan+Fox.+

Photo by Jessie Lehman

Ethan Slater was interviewed by senior Talia Shemony and junior Dylan Fox.

Sophia Miller, Assistant Sports Editor

The atmosphere is hectic on opening night of the new musical, Spongebob Squarepants: The Broadway Musical, as the main character Ethan Slater tries to find some calm to get in the right mindset for his Broadway debut.

On Oct. 9 Slater, a CESJDS middle school alum spoke to students about his journey to stardom and his experiences following his dreams. He hoped to instill confidence in students and show them that they can do so too if they are prepared and work hard.

Slater was inspired by a high school classmate of his who starred in a Broadway show senior year. This made Slater realize that his fantasy of acting on Broadway was actually realistic and achievable. When he went to college, he applied for an apprenticeship, which he received. During this time, Slater received a phone call about a new musical, which turned into Spongebob on Broadway.

Slater was given the opportunity to help build the musical from the ground up, contributing to the overall arc and lines in the script and developing the different characters. After six years of workshopping, Slater was finally able to perform. This opportunity was a learning experience for Slater.

“I think the main lesson that I have learned is that the best art is created when there are good people in the room and I think I have been really inspired by the people I have met doing this,” Slater said.

Junior Jeremy Lazoff saw the show on Broadway this summer. He enjoyed the interview with Slater because he was able to see a different side of him and see the inner workings of the musical.

“I liked it a lot because seeing him in person versus seeing him on stage you see someone one way on stage but you see a different person,” Lazoff said.

Director of Arts Education Dr. David Lyle Solomon was eager to bring Slater to JDS. Solomon taught Slater’s sister when she attended JDS, and reached out to her through Facebook, asking for her brother’s email. He then was able to talk to Slater and set up a date for him to visit and talk to students.

“He had a passion and he followed it and he shows tenacity and resilience and dedication,” Solomon said. “I’m hoping that students will hear his story and be just as excited and just as dedicated to their own passions in college and beyond.”