Follow MCPS for a later start to school

Josh Siegel, Reporter

Last summer, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan (R) issued an executive order which forced all public schools in Maryland to begin the school year after Labor Day. As a private school, CESJDS has no obligation to comply with this order, and it has accordingly decided not to move back the first day. This decision will have negative effects both on the families of the school and on the school itself.

First, a lack of down time is harmful to the students. Vacation is often a time for people to recharge their batteries, and JDS certainly will not want to minimize that and have tired kids going into the school year.

Second, this lack of compliance with the public schools could set a negative precedent. It will be hard to work with our greater community if we are operating on two different schedules.

The last issue with JDS’s earlier start date is that it does not allow relaxation time for those who participated in summer programs that JDS encourages. Any type of vacation, whether it be at home or away, is extremely valuable. Everyone needs some down time before they can get back up for the school year. However, we currently give very little time for those doing summer programs such as SciTech at the Technion, which ended Aug. 17, to rest. How can we encourage these kids to do these summer programs, if it just drains them and makes them tired going into the school year?

Ultimately, it would have been in our school’s best interest to follow the ruling of Governor Hogan and start school after Labor Day weekend. Although no change can be made for this year, JDS should strongly consider starting after Labor Day next year and for years to come.