Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

Proceed With Caution: Drivers and pedestrians must be more aware of their surroundings

Statistics+show+that+in+recent+years+rates+of+pedestrian+fatalities+have+risen+exponentially.+
Maiya Blumenthal
Statistics show that in recent years rates of pedestrian fatalities have risen exponentially.

As I biked around my neighborhood one day after fifth grade and crossed a street only a few blocks from my house, a car hit me. Later, my dad took me to the Emergency Room, where I received 11 stitches for the cut in my chin.

My friends and family were shocked and surprised that I had been hit by a car, but statistically it’s not surprising at all. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every eight minutes a pedestrian in the United States is injured due to a traffic accident. In order to avoid being victim to these frequent crashes, I encourage all drivers and pedestrians to be aware of their surroundings.

U.S. News and World Report states that the number of pedestrian deaths in the United States reached a 41 year high in 2023. The same report said that in 2022, over 7,500 pedestrians were killed on U.S. roadways. That means, in 2022, on average twenty pedestrians were killed every day just from traffic accidents. 

The statistics are equally grim locally. According to WTOP News, pedestrian fatalities in Washington, D.C. increased from 27 in 2019 to 37 in 2020 and to 40 in 2021. And a Montgomery County Council press release reports that there have been more than 30 pedestrian and cyclist fatalities and almost 950 injuries combined in 2022 and 2023. As these statistics rise everyone needs to take more precautions in order to stay safe as a pedestrian.

One step both Montgomery County and Washington, D.C. have taken to increase pedestrian safety is adopting the Vision Zero initiative.

Vision Zero is a program that includes new engineering, close work with communities to identify and solve past problems and a better operation of the existing roadway network. Since 2018 Montgomery County has built over 16 miles of new sidewalks, 14 miles of new bikeways and has refreshed 1,921 crosswalks. Montgomery County also added 35 new traffic signals and beacons to local roadways, and has reduced the speed limit on over 26 miles of highway. 

But there’s only so much the government can do. Individual drivers and pedestrians need to be part of the solution.

While driving, there are many ways to decrease the chances of a collision, and it’s every single person’s responsibility to be as careful and responsible as possible. For example, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is incredibly irresponsible. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, almost half of all fatal pedestrian crashes were due to alcohol use. 

As a pedestrian, it is also important to be careful when walking around your neighborhood, or anywhere else, especially at night. U.S. News and World Report estimates that in 2021 more than 77% of pedestrian fatalities happened after dark. Therefore, when walking at night avoid wearing dark colored clothing. It is also always important to stay alert of where you are and the cars around you. 

Two additional easy ways to maximize your safety as a pedestrian are always crossing at sidewalks and traffic signals, and never texting and walking at the same time, especially when crossing the street. 

As someone who has been involved in an accident, I can’t express enough how important it is to do everything possible to avoid getting into a crash. By yielding to pedestrians and being extra vigilant at night or even just by obeying the speed limit, you are creating a safer environment for drivers and pedestrians, and perhaps even saving lives.