Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

Lions beat Beth Tfiloh Warriors at home

Jordan Levy
Junior Gigi Gordon fights to get the rebound.

With 5.6 seconds left on the clock, the Beth Tfiloh Warriors call a timeout but it is to no avail. The CESJDS Lions quickly steal the ball back and run out the clock, securing a 30-24 win. 

With the TanenbaumCHAT Becker Basketball Tournament on Jan. 21-24 quickly approaching, the Jan. 6 home game victory gives the Lions an edge for the tournament.

“We’ll see them again in Canada,” senior captain Shani Schwartz said. “So now we have a bit of a scouting report on them.” 

The Lions started off the game strong with baskets from captains Gigi Gordon and Schwartz, and ended the first half with a 12 point lead, 18-6. In the second half of the game, the Warriors started to catch up to the Lions, narrowing the gap to eight points in the third quarter and six in the fourth. 

Despite some challenges, the Lions maintained their lead the entire game, bringing their out-of-conference record to 5-5. The team’s in-conference record currently stands at 4-1.

When asked what the team planned to work on, Schwartz responded, “I don’t think our shots were falling tonight. And just bringing more intensity on defense. I know the refs were a bit hard today, so it was hard to find that balance but trying to just find the limit and how to bring pressure when we’re facing some adversity.”

It was a very low-scoring game, with points spread over the entire team, but the team came in with aggressiveness and communication, allowing them to make strong passes and get rebounds.

The Lions maintained their energy from the bench throughout the game, which supported the players throughout the challenges.

“The hype is what gives the team energy and energy is what gives the team the ability to win,” junior Josie Silverberg said. “I think that’s crucial. And I think we did a great job at this game.”

As the game was a defensive struggle for the Lions, the referees’ calls greatly affected the game’s flow.

“I think, unfortunately, the refs really affected the game when they called fouls that are kind of soft,” Director of Athletics and Head Basketball Coach Becky Silberman said. “I think they did on both sides. I don’t think it was unfair for one side. But they kind of messed with the flow of the game and everyone kind of doesn’t know what to do. So when you get a call for fouls playing defense, you kind of ease up and it just gets in people’s heads.”

Coming off winter break, this game was helpful for getting the team back into their rhythm. Both starters Schwartz and Hannah Shank were not there for the last game, and Shank wasn’t there for this game, which made the transition back from the break more difficult.

“[Our mindset was] having fun but also trying to get a big win,” Silberman said. “… Getting back into the team mindset from winter break, we’re still kind of bouncing back from that. So just kind of like getting back in the swing of things.”

As it was an out-of-conference game, the stakes were not as high for the team. This allowed a lower pressure environment for the athletes, giving them and the crowd the opportunity to catch up with their Beth Tfiloh friends.

“When we were in Canada last year, [Beth Tfiloh was] our buddy team,” Silverberg said. “So it’s nice to play them. I think it was a fun game for everyone.”