Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

From educator to activist

Former CESJDS Jewish History teacher and chair Aaron Bregman has always felt passionate about preparing students to confidently engage in civil discourse about complex topics like Jewish identity, antisemitism and the Arab-Israeli conflict. But now, instead of reaching 100 students a year, he’s able to reach close to 2,000 through his work.

Once a month, over 1,900 Jewish high school students meet around the United States to discuss their experiences with antisemitism, learn how to respond to antisemitism and how they can embrace their Jewish identities. This program is called Leaders for Tomorrow (LFT), created by the High School Affairs department at the American Jewish Committee (AJC). Bregman is the director of the department.

“When students end the program, they have the ability to walk into a class, walk into a professor’s office, walk into whatever, you name it and say confidently, ‘Here’s what I believe. I’d love to have a conversation about X, Y or Z and actually engage in civil discourse,’” Bregman said.

After a decade of working at JDS, Bregman left after the 2021-22 school year to work at the AJC. The goal of the AJC is to shape a brighter future for Jewish teens by discussing with leaders on the highest levels of government and society about combating antisemitism, talking to the world about Israel and democratic values.

Bregman’s role as the High School Affairs department director is to help students that have questions about the AJC and what the organization can teach them about combating antisemitism, along with sending out a representative from the AJC to speak with students across the country.

Last summer, Bregman gathered 10 heads of private independent schools from across the country and traveled to Israel to talk about the issues that Israel is facing today. He focused on explaining the diversity of Israel and the history and current events of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

“They can go back to their schools, work with their educators, work with their Jewish student body, so they have a better sense of what’s happening on the ground [in Israel], and so they can actually have some investment in that conversation,” Bregman said.

Bregman’s leadership in the JDS community is still seen by teachers and alumni today, including alumnus Micah Gritz (‘20), who is currently a senior at Tufts University. Gritz is the Chief Operating Officer at Jewish On Campus, an organization focusing on bringing awareness to antisemitism on college campuses.

Gritz said Bregman was a very “passionate and enthusiastic” teacher, and he stated how he was very relatable in sharing his experiences as a high school and college student. Gritz credits his interest in the Arab-Israeli conflict to Bregman and his teaching style.

“I feel like he really ignited a passion within me for international relations, and specifically, the conflicts in the Middle East,” Gritz said. “I think it’s safe to say he changed my life.”

The current chair of the Jewish History Department, Dan Rosenthal, said that he and Bregman worked together closely for seven years, in which they worked on teaching about Israel’s history and the Arab-Israeli conflict.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity for him to be able to take his knowledge and share it with a wider audience that’s not just within Maryland, but across the entire country,” Rosenthal said.

Bregman says he misses his colleagues and how he could engage with many high school students every day. Especially since Oct. 7, Bregman misses the strong community that JDS brought.

“As someone who’s a local, I always appreciated the warmness and comfort the JDS community provided me and I always will remember that,” Bregman said.

Since antisemitic and anti-Israel sentiment has increased exponentially over the past few months, he advises students to speak up for their beliefs.

“[What] I would particularly tell JDS students is: Be confident and don’t be afraid to speak out when you hear such rhetoric,” Bregman said. “I have 120% faith in our Jewish history department. They are giving our students those tools and those materials to understand that background. Then, where the students need to step up is in the non JDS spaces, when they hear rhetoric like that to say proudly loudly, that is antisemitism.”