Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

Focus on your future

“Stop worrying about the future; live in the present!”

I must have heard this phrase a hundred times in school wellness sessions, from friends, my parents and even ironically, from my college guidance counselor. But the truth is, I enjoy focusing on my future, and I firmly believe that for high school students, caring about and investing energy into the future is not only acceptable—it’s vital for your personal growth and future success.

I believe that a balanced and purposeful consideration of the future can actually enhance mental well-being.

By setting goals, planning for academic and career paths and creating a sense of purpose, you can find a source of motivation that contributes positively to your mental health. I had to reshape my mindset, and recognize that obsessing over my future should not be about succumbing to all the worries of the unknown, but rather using my excitement as a guide to inspire my present choices.

Over my high school career, I joined numerous clubs and extracurriculars, many of which have required extensive time commitments. Running between Shir Madness and musical rehearsals, mock trial meetings and Lion’s Tale production, there were times I thought I was stretching myself too thin.

However, I’ve found that my involvement in these activities did not hinder my ability to live in the moment; in fact, it often enhanced my present experiences. While I had deliberately chosen activities with an eye toward the future, they also provided me with a deep sense of fulfillment, enjoyment and direction.

To any high school student who, like me, finds themselves spending hours watching college acceptance videos, I encourage you to stay focused on the future. Striving for excellence in your academics is commendable and should be a source of pride.

Do activities and extracurriculars that genuinely resonate with you. Most importantly, approach the future with an optimistic and determined spirit, as it will shape the best moments of your present life.