This will be the fourth debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
Israel-Hamas War topics to look out for in the Presidential Debate
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • June 26, 2024

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden...

Lions On Film: What advice do you have for students entering your current grade next year?
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Money doesn’t grow on trees
Money doesn’t grow on trees
Ari Kittrie, Managing Editor, Web • June 2, 2024

The end of the school year means juniors like myself will soon need to consider tuition prices for higher education across the United States....

Summer shouldn't be serious
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • June 2, 2024

Since I was seven years old, I’ve spent my academic years looking forward to my three-week session at Capital Camps each summer. Despite any...

Education miscalculation
Education miscalculation
Maiya Blumenthal and Aviv SteinJune 2, 2024

When I went to Israel with my family for the first time in the summer of 2018, I was captivated by the country. Not only did I love walking around...

Bring them home
Bring them home
The Lion's TaleJune 2, 2024

In the midst of all of the protests seen on various college campuses across the country, it seems as though the Israel-Hamas war has become even...

Be a silly goose

When I look back at everything I’ve written for The Lion’s Tale, I’m overwhelmed by the seriousness of it all. Why did I feel like I always needed to tackle the hardest issues, like abortion, trans rights and racism?

I feel like I have to advocate for everything I believe in, all the time. I’m concerned that if I don’t speak up, then no one else will. So my voice becomes pretty loud, and many people associate this with me. So much so that my classmates suggested I put “You’re on native land” on my senior jersey. This was making fun of a sticker I had on my water bottle that said that, and it made me feel defined by one thing, boxed into a politically correct stereotype and like my class mates didn’t truly know me.

Looking back on high school, I regret not showing my silly side more often: belting out song lyrics, joking around and saying nonsensical things. I was worried that people would think I was weird if I acted unconventionally or that it would undermine my credibility in academic settings. But being just one thing all the time isn’t authentic. I wonder if I could have made more of my high school experience if I let my guard down and let other people get to know me better.

Everything is so loud all the time, and I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon. Everyone thinks they’re an authority on everything. Everyone has something to say. People won’t shut up about everything serious, and it can make you feel guilty for looking for an escape or happier things. I’m here to tell you that those people are insecure. They’re worried that if they don’t make their voices heard and make them heard loud, they’re liable to be ignored.

Embrace the silly. Cherish the nonsense, distractions, fiddlesticks and hogwash. Laugh at things that aren’t funny. Say the first thing that comes to mind, even if it sounds stupid. Play the fool, act the jokester or simply do what comes naturally to you. Advocacy is important, but don’t let it drown out the reason why we advocate in the first place: equal pursuit of joy.