This will be the fourth debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
Israel-Hamas War topics to look out for in the Presidential Debate
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • June 26, 2024

The presidential debate on June 27 may seem to be no different from that of the 2020 election, but really, there is so much more for Joe Biden...

Lions On Film: What advice do you have for students entering your current grade next year?
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • June 2, 2024

Money doesn’t grow on trees
Money doesn’t grow on trees
Ari Kittrie, Managing Editor, Web • June 2, 2024

The end of the school year means juniors like myself will soon need to consider tuition prices for higher education across the United States....

Summer shouldn't be serious
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • June 2, 2024

Since I was seven years old, I’ve spent my academic years looking forward to my three-week session at Capital Camps each summer. Despite any...

Education miscalculation
Education miscalculation
Maiya Blumenthal and Aviv SteinJune 2, 2024

When I went to Israel with my family for the first time in the summer of 2018, I was captivated by the country. Not only did I love walking around...

Bring them home
Bring them home
The Lion's TaleJune 2, 2024

In the midst of all of the protests seen on various college campuses across the country, it seems as though the Israel-Hamas war has become even...

Community participates in the March For Israel rally

Israeli+performer+Ishay+Ribo+performs+for+thousands+during+teen+pre-rally.+
Aliza Bellas
Israeli performer Ishay Ribo performs for thousands during teen pre-rally.

On Nov. 14, over 290,000 Jews and allies gathered on the National Mall to voice support for Israel during its ongoing conflict with Hamas, demand the immediate return of hostages from Gaza and denounce rising antisemitism across the globe. Amidst a sea of Israeli flags and passionate cheers, attendees united in their call for peace and justice for Israel, emphasizing the need for international support to condemn Hamas’ terrorism.

Among other Jewish day schools in the U.S., CESJDS was very eager to get students involved in the rally, and canceled their school days to allow them the opportunity to attend. High School Principal Lisa Vardi said that during this unique moment in time, it is paramount that teens speak up and make a mark on Jewish history.

“This is a historic event that young Jews will remember throughout their whole lifetime,” Vardi said. “…It’s a march for Israel, it’s a march against antisemitism and it’s a march to show your pride and identity in who you are. It’s really a rallying point for our community to show what is truly important to us.”

The rally, which featured Jewish influencers and activists from all over the world, consisted of many speeches and musical performances. During the student targeted pre-rally, there were a variety of guests, ranging from alumna Talia Shelef (‘23), Israeli performer Ishay Ribo, Representative Ritchie Torres and many others.

Different groups were eager to participate and get involved to show their support for Israel. One of these youth groups, BBYO, brought a delegation of teens from across North America. BBYO’s International Youth President Courtney Saxe and other regional board members spoke at the rally to showcase youth leadership for Israel. 

BBYO’s Chief Executive Officer Matt Grossman shared his excitement about the organization’s leadership in the rally and their passion to support Israel through teen-led initiatives.

“I hope teens feel optimistic about the future,” Grossman said. “I hope they feel their voice can matter in all of this. I hope they feel like they’re not alone.”

Junior Aviva Stern was very grateful to JDS for enabling students to attend the rally as it allowed her to feel supported during difficult times. 

“It felt really great to know that there’s a big group of people that support Israel the same way I do,” Stern said. “I saw a lot of Christians holding signs in support of Israel, which just made me feel like I’m not alone.”

In addition to students from JDS, young Jews from around the country flew in to attend the rally. Aliza Katz, who attends Shalhevet High School in California, flew into D.C. for the event. She said it was extremely inspiring to see the large crowd on the National Mall united for the same cause.

“I really feel like I am here actively supporting the people in Israel and making a tangible difference for our community,” Katz said.

Stern explained that the rally left her and many others with a profound sense of support and motivation. She said the event ignited a new hope for her that will continue to motivate her in supporting Israel’s actions throughout the rest of the war.

“The rally was more than just a gathering of Jews,” Stern said. “It was proof to the rest of the world that we are here, we are strong and no one can take our state away from us.”