Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

JDS students and faculty visit Bishop McNamara high school in continued partnership

Aileen Goldstein
JDS students sit with students from Bishop Mcnamara High School to engage in a meaningful conversation

CESJDS’ partnership with Bishop McNamara High School continued this past week, with 19 students and seven faculty members visiting their campus on Nov. 2. Last year, a group of students and faculty visited Bishop McNamara for the first time in order to build a bridge between both distinct schools and foster cultural and religious understanding by connecting the two communities. 

“The goal of the day was really to offer students in both schools the opportunity to get to know one another, and to learn more about each other’s experiences as high school students who are in schools of faith,” High School Assistant Principal Aileen Goldstein said. 

Each visit has a different key focus other than establishing a connection between both communities; last year’s visit being humanities, and this year’s visit focused on Fine Arts and STEM. 

Once students and faculty arrived at the school, they were greeted by the vibrant community and were immediately able to start forming new connections amongst the Bishop McNamara students and faculty. They spent the day touring classrooms as well as their brand-new STEM innovation center which included a cybersecurity program, vast computer systems and digital printmaking. They were also able to explore different Fine Arts classes and learn about African dance and music, as well as Bishop McNamara’s instrumental band program. 

“They have a whole new STEM and innovation center that they literally just opened in February, it’s pretty impressive and they got to show off all their cool new classrooms, labs and their STEM innovation centers,” Upper School STEM Director and Middle School Science Chair Alexandra Brown said.    

Students were also given the opportunity to share their own Jewish culture and identity through meaningful discussions with the students at Bishop McNamara. Junior Georgia Lindenauer, along with Juniors Zev Mendelson and Aliza Lesser gave a presentation to a senior theology class on five things they wished the students at Bishop McNamara knew about Judaism. 

Lindenauer found this part of the day especially meaningful, as the presentation transformed into an engaging Q&A where both JDS and Bishop McNamara students were able to learn a lot from one another.  

“I think it’s really important to bridge gaps between two different religions and to find common threads and just debunk some sort of walls that we’ve put up subconsciously and become closer,” Lindenauer said. 

After a day filled with touring, learning and establishing new friendships, JDS students and faculty regrouped to reflect on their experience, what they learned and observed, and what would be ideal next steps in continuing the partnership.  

JDS is planning on hosting Bishop McNamara in the spring, and JDS and Bishop McNamara faculty are working on planning social and community service gatherings throughout the winter to provide more students with the opportunity to meet and connect. 

“There’s a lot of things that are beneficial about the relationship [between both schools]…” Goldstein said, “We are in a Jewish bubble here and it is important for us not only to learn about other religions as we do in World History class or Comparative Religion or in other discussions that we have, but really to understand another faith community helps us better understand the society that we are living in.”