Lt. Col. Avi Levi presents on the Israel Air Defense System.
JDS hosts speakers from Israeli Embassy
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

Following Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut, CESJDS invited three speakers from the Israeli embassy to further inform students about Israel and...

Joe Vogel speaking out to the community. Photo from https://www.joevogel.org/
It takes a village
Adam Salomon, Reporter • May 22, 2024

While, door-to-door campaigning, Junior Rafi Seigel knocks on the door of a family household in Maryland’s sixth district, asking them to vote...

Sophomore Oliver Silver teaches his grandparents what hes been learning in math this year.
Dor L' Dor Day
Gila Safra, Reporter • May 22, 2024

Summer vs. winter
Summer vs. winter
Eliana Abrams and Maya GreenblumMay 20, 2024

Lions hold up banner after defeating Sandy Spring in the championship.
Varsity softball wins championship two years in a row
Tyler Portnoy, Reporter • May 19, 2024

Crack. The bat hits the ball and sophomore Carrine Shemesh sprints towards first base as sophomore Eliana Wolf crosses the plate, scoring the...

The baseball team has two managers who can be found at the majority of the baseball teams games, Jordan Levy (‘24) and junior Josh Berl.
All bases covered: managers support the baseball team
Vivi Ducker, Features Editor • May 17, 2024

When in attendance at any of the CESJDS varsity baseball team’s games this year, next to the players on the bench, the baseball team managers....

Summer in science

Students participate in STEM program at Technion University in Israel
Adin Halbfinger
Senior Simon Reich builds a makeshift lighthouse at the Madatech science museum. Students on the SciTech program spent much of their time working at the Madatech museum.

This past summer, Israel’s Technion University held a science and technology based summer program for 48 international high school students in Haifa. This group included seniors Nava Feldman and Simon Reich along with teens from five other continents.

After taking a hiatus during the COVID-19 pandemic, the three week long SciTech program resumed this year with a completely new structure. While the program was formerly more research focused, this year, a lot more time was spent watching experiments in fields ranging from robotics to physics, visiting faculties, as well as taking day trips to soak in Israeli culture.

Feldman attended Camp Ramah New England for the past summers, but after her final year as a camper last year, she wanted to try something new. Feldman has been interested in science for many years and when she discovered this program through an email list about Israeli summer opportunities, she decided it would be a good way to dive deeper into different fields. While she wasn’t looking for a program specifically in Israel, it was a positive component to the program for her.

“I wanted to see if I wanted to pursue science in college,” Feldman said. “It helped me get a better idea of how broad science is since we only learn a certain sect of it in school.”

Although Reich is not very interested in STEM, he also wanted to try something new and decided to participate in the SciTech program. While he found himself not very interested in the bulk of the science content, he was impressed by the reach of the program.

“It was definitely interesting to meet people from all over,” Reich said. “It was a very different sort of group than I had been part of before. But at the same time, even though there were people from Australia and Brazil, socially it’s all a bunch of high schoolers.”

Reich and Feldman agree that the program differed from their expectations. Reich recommends that someone interested in STEM should only apply once the program is more established.

“I went into the program thinking there would be more research involved…,” Reich said. “But as it stands, I think the program is in more of a limbo stage between what it wants to be and what it has been.”

Traveling to Israel for an educational program is very similar to the Irene and Daniel Simpkins Senior Capstone Trip, and while Reich is leaning towards not attending for various reasons, Feldman doesn’t think her experience this summer will impact her decision at all as she still plans to attend.

“I’ve been to Israel many times before, but I’d never really spent a lot of time up north,” Feldman said. “It was all pretty much new to me, the places we were seeing. This year it’s going to be different because you’re doing more touristy things and you’re not studying there.”

While both Reich and Feldman found different value in the experience, they both learned a lot about themselves and the field of science after reflecting upon the program.

“If I knew how I would feel about the academics and the actual meat of the program I probably would not do it again,” Reich said. “That being said…it was a reasonable, fun experience and I learned that I definitely will not be doing STEM in the future.”