Fall sports recap

The+boys+varsity+soccer+team+plays+a+regular+season+game+on+October+20.+They+finished+the+season+with+a+record+of+8-4+and+lot+in+the+semifinals.+

Kaylah Goldrich, LT

The boys varsity soccer team plays a regular season game on October 20. They finished the season with a record of 8-4 and lot in the semifinals.

Stella Muzin, Reporter

The fall sports season came to an exciting end last week as the girls varsity tennis team and both the boys and girls cross country team each won the Potomac Valley Athletic Conference (PVAC) championship. 

The cross country team has had a lot of success in recent years, winning their third banner in five years. Their championship win comes as ESPN began filming a documentary about the team on Oct. 24. 

“The season was great, I had put in a ton of work and mileage over the summer and it was very satisfying to see that translate into a good season opener, and then to put in the work to improve from there,” PVAC first place winner and sophomore Nathan Szubin said.

For the girls varsity tennis team, their championship win is their second one in as many years, however, last year they didn’t receive a banner because there were too few teams competing in the league. 

“I’m very proud of what [CESJDS] girls tennis was able to accomplish this season. The team improved match after match and culminated the season with claiming the PVAC Championship on home court,” tennis coach and P.E. teacher Alexander Kirsch said. “The girls were able to come together as a team and displayed great team chemistry and compassion for each other.” 

Both of the girls volleyball teams had a successful season, with junior varsity finishing with a record of 4-2 and varsity at 8-3. 

“I really liked the support that we got from each other and the coaches, and it was awesome to develop new skills and use them in the game,” junior varsity team captain Dalia Epstein said. 

There was a high demand to play volleyball at JDS this year as well, with over twenty girls on each team, and the varsity team was able to make it to the quarterfinals. 

The boys varsity soccer team, with a record of 8-4, reached the semifinals where their season came to an end against Sandy Springs Friends School. 

“This season was really great because the team bonded a lot and we had really great coaching,” senior Ben Bass said. 

Last year, the girls varsity soccer team finished in first place during the regular season and lost in the semifinals. This year, they finished in second place with a record of 7-1-1 and again lost in the semifinals against Washington International School (WIS).

“I love the team because it gives me the chance to bond with people in other grades over a shared love for the sport,” junior Sela Wertlieb said. “We are all super spirited and just enjoy having fun together because there’s nothing else like being a part of a team.”

As the season wraps up, the teams are looking toward next year. Specifically, the girls varsity tennis team is anticipating future success, as most of the team are underclassmen. 

“With a young core the team returns all but one starter for next season,” Kirsch said “As a coach, I always provide a theme for the team to set their intentions to, and the theme for the offseason is ‘improvement. Now is the time to continue to learn and get better to set our sights higher and higher.”