Local Gems

Aaron Waldman and Ari Blumenthal, Incoming Sports Editor, Reporter

Toosso

Toosso is a Pakistani fast-casual restaurant located in Loehmann’s plaza, roughly a 12-minute walk from the Upper School campus. The restaurant makes high quality traditional Pakistani food exceedingly quick, with an interior that is similar to the environment of a Pakistani dhaba, or roadside restaurant in South Asia. Rustic tables, Pakistani art and traditional teaware all add to the authenticity of the restaurant. The menu includes a variety of both meat and vegetarian dishes such as “Dum Keema” and “Zeera Aloo,” ranging from $6 to $16. 

5290 Randolph Rd, Monday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.- 9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m- 9 p.m. 

El Patio

Argentinean restaurant El Patio is a great stop for a snack or a meal. It is approximately a 13-minute walk from the Upper School. El Patio is unique in that it is a full sit down restaurant, a bakery and a market. The market and bakery offers food and drinks unique to Argentina, such as jars of dulce de leche, pastries and savory egg treats. The restaurant also has plenty of options, such as Tortilla Papas, Espinacas, Sopa de Lentejas and Calabaza. The items are on the cheaper side and there is a friendly neighborhood feel in the restaurant. Pastries range from $1.20 to $7.25 and entree platters range from $13.95 to $17.25.

5290 Randolph Rd, Monday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.- 9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m.- 9 p.m. 

Friends of the Library Bookstore

Bookworms should head across the street to the Friends of the Library Bookstore, a used bookstore supporting Montgomery County Public Libraries. The rooms are filled with many rows of used books, along with DVDs, CDs and VHS cassettes. The price of each book depends on its condition and binding (e.g., paperback, hardcover). Because of the organization’s value of education, the Friends of the Library Bookstore is a perfect place for students to further their studies in any topics that interest them. It also can serve as a beneficial resource for school projects and is a fun place to visit if you love to read.

4886 Boiling Brook Pkwy, Rl 20852. Sunday, 12-6 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 12-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Closed Mondays

Far East restaurant

The Far East restaurant, which has been a neighborhood favorite since 1985, offers authentic Chinese food from a variety of different regions of China, such as Mongolian beef and Peking duck. The large number of vegetarian courses, appetizers and soups has been a major appeal to students who do not eat nonkosher meat. The entrees range between $16 and $21. The dining hall is steeped with cultural artistry, displaying stained glass windows that portray ancient Chinese figures and red banners of ancient Chinese characters that symbolize the new year.

5055 Nicholson Ln, 20852. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.- 8:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.- 9 p.m. Sunday, 10:30 a.m.- 8:30 p.m. Closed Tuesdays 

RnJ Sports

Runners should sprint to RnJ Sports, the perfect spot for all running gear. They sell clothes, shoes, sports therapy equipment and other running equipment. It is an 11-minute walk, and a faster run, from the Upper School. There is a large clearance section with all sorts of athletic clothing, and they also provide fitting rooms for the customers. Lastly, they offer one-on-one appointments to be fitted for shoes. RnJ Sports is a quiet, yet friendly, shop.

11910 Parklawn Dr R, 20852. Monday, Wednesday, Friday Saturday, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Sunday, 12-4 p.m.