Let’s talk about sexism

Mischa Trainor, Outgoing Editor in Chief

One day as I sat in my science class I commented on the prevalence of sexism in the class. I was immediately met with demands for examples, waiting to be disproven because of course I was just the silly girl who was incapable of saying anything of merit.

I brought up how there were only four girls in the class compared to the nine boys. Other students tried to brush this off by saying that anyone can take this class, which is untrue. Certain advanced science classes require students to be in a year ahead of the rest of their grade in math, which is determined by placements made when students are in sixth grade. Additionally, anyone with critical thinking skills would question why fewer girls in my math class chose to double in science.

The class demographics beginning in seventh grade reveal this gender gap in higher math levels.  According to Math Department Chair Reuben Silberman, in the 2016-17 school year, there were 14 boys and four girls in the advanced math section. The next year, there were 10 boys and three girls; in the year after there were eight boys and three girls, establishing a pattern.

In my science class, I also tried to bring up how the boys in the class frequently made sexual jokes that made the girls uncomfortable. I also attempted to point out that whenever I talk, I am interrupted way more than the boys when they speak. Of course, as if to prove my point, no one listened to what I said about this issue because all of the boys interrupted me.

The true cherry on top was the guy sitting at the table next to mine jokingly saying, “Shut up, Mischa,” while I was in the middle of explaining how the guys in the class have seriously hurt me.

Upset and frustrated, I found myself bringing up the events of the class at the dinner table with my parents. They tried to rationalize the situation by saying that boys are more immature. But why do boys get the right to be immature when girls have to fight to be taken seriously?

My mom also insisted that this was a good learning opportunity as I would have to put up with plenty of sexism while studying computer engineering in college. But I have almost 18 years of men belittling my intelligence to the point where I believed I was stupid. I don’t need more practice experiencing sexism. I’m not even a legal adult, yet I have experienced a lifetime’s worth of sexism.

I am proud of myself for calling out the rampant sexism at CESJDS, and I am extremely disappointed in my male peers whom I considered friends for perpetuating it. JDS needs to teach girls to be confident and brave while also teaching boys to understand how they contribute to sexism.