New Clubs Begin After Holidays

Sophomore Sarah Davis will be leading a middle school club focused on the preservation and protection of the Chesapeake Bay

Liran Zimand, Reporter

Unlike past years at CESJDS, there will be no club fair this year to showcase JDS’s clubs. However, clubs will still officially start on Oct. 20 and will be offered on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during an extended lunch period.

While many of the clubs will be continued from previous years, there are new clubs beginning this year as well.

Sophomore Sarah Davis will be leading a middle school club focused on the preservation and protection of the Chesapeake Bay. According to Davis, the club will create posters with facts about the bay, collect money for the Save the Bay Organization and make sure students are informed about the Bay’s importance.

This club has personal significance for Davis, due to her lifelong connection with the Chesapeake Bay.

“I’ve spent so much time as I’ve grown up learning about the bay and having fun going to the bay,” Davis said. “I think that it is terrible knowing that the bay is getting worse and worse these days from pollution and everything that humans do. I think it is so important to try and preserve it.”ScreenShot2015-09-30at9.37.06PM-300x177

Juniors Zoe Salzberg and Talia Horowitz are starting the Feminism Club which they also feel passionately about.

“In the Feminism Club, we will offer a variety of different programs and activities that will help students have a better understanding of gender equality,” Salzberg said.

The club will consist of discussions, guest speakers and programs.

“We also plan on looking at Feminism through a Jewish lens, and what it means to be Jewish Feminist,” Salzberg said.