Talia Sporkin: Singer-songwriter since birth

Freshman+Talia+Sporkin+performs+one+of+her+original+songs+in+front+of+a+live+audience.+

photo provided by Talia Sporkin

Freshman Talia Sporkin performs one of her original songs in front of a live audience.

Maya Preuss, News Editor

Singer. Song-writer. Varsity basketball and soccer player. Freshman class president. Freshman Talia Sporkin has been involved with music her entire life, writing her first song when she was just 10 years old and continuing to write songs now. 

Having so many extracurriculars can often have its difficulties, but Sporkin sets up a calendar each day to ensure that what needs to be done is accomplished. Writing songs doesn’t happen every day, but when it does, it is generally because she gets inspired or when she makes herself sit down and write. 

“I love singing because it’s just a way for me to express how I feel,” Sporkin said. “It’s just a moving experience for me and it takes me to wherever the song is set which is cool.” 

To upload her songs onto a streaming service, Sporkin works with a distributing company that sends out her songs to streaming services and communicates with them on her behalf. In the past year, she switched distributing companies to Spinnup with which she has a one-year contract. 

Two summers ago Sporkin spent a day at Omega Studios located in Washington, D.C. recording with different mics and guitars to become familiar with recording songs. Later, she spent some time in a sound booth with a sound engineer who has also worked with bands like Coldplay and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

At the end of 2019, as provided by Spotify, Sporkin had 10,500 streams, over 566 hours streamed and listeners in over 50 countries. The goal for Sporkin is to continue to be able to make music for the rest of her life. 

“People always ask me if I want to be famous but that’s not the goal for me because the goal for me is to continue to share what I do with the world and share my voice,” Sporkin said. 

Sporkin is also a member of the CESJDS a cappella group, Shir Madness, run by vocal music and theater teacher Aaron Dunn. 

“I am thrilled for her success and think it is well deserved and extremely impressive for a musician of her age,” Dunn wrote in an email. 

Sporkin’s family and friends have been very supportive and encouraging of her dreams throughout her journey so far. She has even written songs about her friends and how meaningful their friendship is to her. 

“If I’m in a classroom sometimes people will sing my songs to me, which is weird because I wrote them on my bedroom floor and now they’re being played in a bunch of different countries all around the world. And, people actually know the words which is insane and surreal,” Sporkin said.