Spirited boys varsity soccer team loses final home game on senior night to Waldorf

photo by Sophie Kaplan

Even with high hopes, the boys varsity soccer team lost their final home game against Washington Waldorf on senior night.

Sophie Kaplan, Reporter

At the start of their match against the Washington Waldorf Knights, 11 senior Lions burst onto the field in honor of senior night for their last home game. he Lions had lots of high spirits and hopes going into the game, but ultimately lost with a final score of 3-2. 

For the majority of the game, the Lions held the lead with a goal being scored by senior Ryan Bauman as well as one by junior Alex Frame. But despite the back-to-back goals, the Lions fell to the Knights.. 

Varsity soccer coach and physical education department chair Steve Forestieri expressed his pride in the team as well as the importance of senior night. 

“The importance of senior night is to recognize the senior student-athletes and the parents for their dedication,” Forestieri said. “The team played an outstanding game, they really possessed the ball well …  they had some nice goals … Although we dominated most of the match, we just did not finish [with the win].” 

For the entirety of the game, the Lions were determined to score and win. They were constantly cheering each other on and overall supporting one another, sophomore Oren Swagel said. This game was more important to the team because it was one of the last times the seniors got to play together. After the game, senior night was celebrated with balloons, posters, cakes, and more. 

The team completed the regular season with a record of 5-4 and will now move into the playoffs where they will continue to play. 

“I think we put in good effort throughout the entire game but we lacked some focus and made some silly mistakes that we can patch up,” senior and captain Yoni Preuss said. “I’m excited to see what we can do throughout the playoffs.”