Lions take sizable win against Burke behind Gross’ big day at the plate

photo by Hailey Block

The boys varsity baseball team defeated the Burke Bengal Tigers this past Monday, 12-0.

Hailey Block, Guest Writer

After scoring a season-high 24 runs, the boys varsity baseball team proudly took home a win against the Burke Bengal Tigers on Monday, April 15. The Bengal Tigers scored only two runs, and the game was in the Lions’ favor just after the start of the game, with a final score of 12-0.

The Lions now have a 6-1 record for the year. Some of the game’s highlights included a home run led by junior Zach Gross as well as substantial pitching by his brother, eighth-grader Jonah Gross. Jonah struck out five opponents and walked one in the space of three innings. Freshman Zack Shpilman and junior Ray Ash were also strong pitchers. Shpilman also hit a three-run home run.

“Everyone played well and stepped up in big ways which led us to a big win,” Shpilman said. “Our offense was impressive; Almost everyone on the team got hits and our defense was also extremely good.”

Monday’s win by such a significant margin has bolstered the team’s hope for a strong season.

“I’m looking forward to winning a championship because we have the team and coach to get us there,” Lefkowitz said.