Lions defeat Falcons in fifth game of the season

photo by Maia Zimmers

The Lions defeated the Falcons in the fifth game of the season.

Maia Zimmers, Guest Writer

In the fourth inning of the boys varsity baseball game against The Field School, freshman Eli Gordon was on the edge of the white foul line near first base as he caught the ball. The audience erupted to Gordon’s defense, stating that he was inside of the line, even though the referee ruled that the ball was of out of play. The Lions ended up beating the Falcons 11-3 this past Thursday.

By the end of the first inning, the Lions led 9-1, having already scored two triples as a team and a home run hit by freshman Zack Shpilman.

“It felt like a dream going around [the bases] because my brother did it last year off the same guy and it’s just a legacy,” Shpilman said about his home run.

After the game, Shpilman was doused in Gatorade to celebrate his home run.

Sophomore and pitcher Robby Leftkowitz pitched the entire game and helped lead the Lions to victory.

“We hit the ball really well, [had] lots of line drives and the pitching was amazing, Robby was amazing,” junior Ray Ash said.  “So it was really good.”

This was the Lions’ fifth game of the season, which coach Steve Forestieri said was the best of the season so far. The Lions won the last three of their games and lost the fourth.

“This game was the best game we’ve had because the weather was amazing and it was really baseball weather. And it felt like really the true start of baseball season today…. Everybody had a great game and everybody was involved in the game and stayed focus and very positive and it was a lot of fun,” Forestieri said.