JDS Foodies promote satirical commentary on cafeteria food

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Oren Minsk

photo by Oren Minsk

photo by Oren Minsk

Abigail Katz, Guest Writer

JDS Foodies, an Instagram account run by  student Adrian* about food from the CESJDS cafeteria, has been gaining popularity throughout the year and has attracted the attention of the student body and has over 200 followers and counting.

“I actually have a friend who goes to Capital Camps, and [they] told me about an account called CCRC [Capital Camps Retreat Center] Foodies,” Adrian said. “After reading and seeing the posts, I thought it was very cool and very funny, so I decided to create JDS Foodies with a friend of mine.”           

Students submit pictures of their JDS lunches, which are then featured and written about on the account. Funny captions such as “scrumptious JDS chipotle” and “cardboard artisan bread” make the account entertaining. According to Adrian, the satirical captions take a lot of time to write.

Food Services Manager Erick Gilbert is aware of the account and appreciates the smart humor that goes into each post. At first, however, Gilbert was skeptical and unsure about the account’s contents.

“It’s been mentioned to me a few times this year,” Gilbert said. “Rabbi Malkus knows about it, and he goes, ‘Erick, you know that there’s a JDS Foodies thing?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, they won’t let me in.You know, when you try to get invited and you’re denied, and it’s part of your product that you make, you kind of [think], ‘Oh, do they not want me to see it?’”

Gilbert also admires the fun humor and likes how JDS Foodies recognizes his hard work. One thing that stood out to him was a post of a hamburger with the caption “grass-fed burgers from Connecticut.”

“You know, making 250 hamburgers is not easy. So when you guys appreciate it, the work is worth it,” Gilbert said. “I think it’s just brilliant and I’m really honored. Smart humor really shows brilliance, hats off to everyone who is a part of this group because it shows just how smart you guys are.”

At first, Adrian was worried that the faculty would not find JDS Foodies to be as funny as the students did. As the account gained popularity, Adrian did not want to risk getting in trouble and talked to their guidance counselor.

“Some of our followers do have parents who work here…many people started following us at once, [and] it became kind of like a hot topic,” Adrian said. “People were talking about it even in my classes, so I imagine the teachers found out that way.”   

Freshman Avigayil Fischman-Charry follows JDS Foodies and believes that it is a positive platform. She is very appreciative of the effort that is put into the food and enjoys the quality. In addition, Fishman-Charry likes that she feels included and connected to other students.

“I like that [you can send in your own pictures],” Fishman-Charry said. “It’s a really good idea because everybody eats differently. If everybody is submitting to this thing, then everybody is represented.”      

Although JDS Foodies is no longer a secret, Adrian’s identity still is. Adrian likes the idea of followers not knowing who is behind the account, and only a few of Adrian’s friends know who they are.

“One reason [I keep my identity a secret] is because if people find out who it is, some may think it’s lame and some might not,” Adrian said. “But also we just think that it’s part of the mystery, part of the fun.”

*Name has been changed to respect the student’s privacy and anonymity